Employment vs Education? Can anyone help me?

Can you help......? I will have completed a foundation degree in stage management and technical production in May, who would adivse continuing in education and doing a top up year (if so where?) or getting a job now?

I'm worried that because I only have experience based in college I will not get a job, however a further year in education would only make that worse....... I'm confused!

Would anyone employ a student straight from college, especially one without a full honours degree?

I was in a similar situation to you until fairly recently. I had finished a degree in drama with a module in lighting, and looking for a job without experience is a daunting task.

I think that a good first step is to offer your services for free, to anybody who is willing to have you and build up your CV with work in the profession.

Once you have done this, prospective employers can see your dedecation and experience in a more favourable light and also help you to see what employers are looking for and also so that you can see if you are ready for the real world of work, or if another year of education is what you need.

I think that a good first step is to offer your services for free, to anybody who is willing to have you and build up your CV with work in the profession.

Hi stagedamager, I was also in the same position as you, but I can say that what pacmunchkin said about offering your services for free is not a good step, I am now on the books at a professional theatre and that was my first big job, but all the rest were paid also, and I am only doing a national diploma, just get intouch with all the theatres around you, most receiving housed are often looking for casuals to add to their books

Guest lightnix

Hi, stagedamager - welcome to the Blue Room :)

...I think that a good first step is to offer your services for free, to anybody who is willing to have you and build up your CV with work in the profession...

Oh no it isn't! Not only will people treat you less seriously, you will also devalue the profession as a whole and make it harder for others to maintain their rates.

Training is important, for sure, especially in these technically sophisticated times - but how far should you go and how much should you be prepared to spend? Speaking as a former crew-booker, my gut instinct is to go for experience over education, pretty well every time; especially for on-site work. A crew member with experience is always going to be more of a known (or at least knowable) quantity, with real world work experience, the quality (or otherwise) of which can be verified by past employers and colleagues.

What I find most lamentable in these discussions, though (and I apologise if this is going off topic) is the near-total lack of input from employers, when it comes to offering advice on these matters. An all too frequent conversation has run something like this...

Employer: We find it really hard to get the right kind of crew these days.

Me: And who are the "right kind" of crew, in your opinion?

Employer: Well... people who can do the job, of course.

Me: Ah, but... what is "the job"?

Employer: Whatever we tell them it is!

...and until that (and a couple of other things) change, the whole issue of what kind of training to get is going to be fraught with uncertainty, if not remain completely unanswered. Employers must start working more closely with colleges, to develop the "right kind" training to produce the "right kind" of people; but first they have to actually sit down and work out who these people actually are in the first place: highly skilled, self-motivated, degree-level graduates with the capacity for initiative and independent thought, or a bunch of monkeys who know their place and don't expect too much. :)

Veering back on topic for a moment: If I were in your shoes I'd possibly be looking at going out and getting some work experience in; with a view to building up some funds, to pay for higher level training in (say) 2-3 years time. Who knows: if you're lucky enough to find the "right kind" of employer, they may even be prepared to offer you some kind of sponsorship ;)

Whatever you decide to do, please do keep us updated - all the best with your career :D

"highly skilled, self-motivated, degree-level graduates with the capacity for initiative and independent thought,"

Nice to at last realise that most of the leading figures, who don't have degrees, in this industry are a bunch of monkeys. And there was me thinking that they had invented the industry.

" Wish I had saved my money and become an electrician"...quote this week from a working professional freelance who just happens to be an honours grad from WRCMD.

http://www.ccskills.org.uk/stories/al_riches.asp check it out, please.

Guest lightnix
Nice to at last realise that most of the leading figures, who don't have degrees, in this industry are a bunch of monkeys. And there was me thinking that they had invented the industry.
Not quite sure what you mean there, kerry - it certainly wasn't what I was trying to say B-) My point was that employers often seem to blow hot and cold over what makes an ideal freelancer, i.e. they haven't got a clue who they really want; one company's ideal crew member can be the next one's pariah - there is little, if any, consistency.

" Wish I had saved my money and become an electrician"...quote this week from a working professional freelance...
Sadly, I can all too easily sympathise with that point of view :(

Edited for clarity

• 8 months later...

What surprised me this weekend was this job from etc which contains this quote in the "minimum qualifications" section

Bachelor’s degree in Technical theatre or related technical field, or 4-6 years entertainment lighting experience

which to me seems a little excessive. It means that I could have just finished a 2 year technical theatre course and be able to apply, but because im doing my best to work my way in I cant apply for another two years

seems a bit of a large gap

steve

DISCLAIMER

Before I start my reply I would like to make it clear that I do not see everything that I am about to put as a 'good thing' but I do think it is the way that the world is.

So here goes...

More and more it is expected that people will have a degree in their subject if they want to pursue a career back stage as this shows their commitment to the subject and that they have some knowledge. On a course you should get a variety of experience in different roles on a number of different productions, you will not have spent 2 years humping steel-deck which may otherwise be the case.

As someone who employs recent graduates I see it as my responsibility to know about the courses that are out there and what their strengths and weaknesses may be. I therefore know that if I want a person with strengths in a particular area I should lean more to a student from one institution than another. If I am to employ a person who does not have a formal education then I do not know what they know and who has imparted this knowledge to them. Even if they have worked for large and well respected companies they may have a relatively narrow skill/knowledge base.

While at the moment it is certainly true that many, many people do not have degrees and have forged very successful careers, and I sure that will always be the case for some, times are changing. I can not think of the last time I worked with an ASM who did not have a qualification, so in 10 - 20 years that will be true of all Stage Management roles, I think this situation will come to the rest of back stage too.

Steve

I'd be more than happy to look at your CV in a general way and offer advice as I do see quite a few but I am a Wardrobe Supervisor so should probably not offer specific advice about your technical knowledge.

To get others to offer advice you could post it, though that can lead to lots of conflicting advice. You could PM some of the regular posters who are Production/Technical Managers to ask if they would take a look, you are probably a regular enough poster to get away with this.

Mark

Steve,

I'm not personally a huge fan of the trend to put personal statements at the top of the CV but I know that this is very common. No one is ever going to put 'Grumpy git who will probably get the job done between numerous breaks for coffee' however true it may be.

You would normally put where you went to school, though you may not want to do this if that is the school where you are now working.

The employment section is a bit chatty, stick to where, when, job title and duties. You can then add a section at the end of the CV where you talk more about yourself, your skills, strengths and aspirations.

Your music takes up quite a large part of your CV, you could list trumpet playing in an 'other interests' section along with pole vaulting and origami or in an 'additional skills' with HGV license and 1st aid training.

I hope these thoughts are helpful.

Mark

Archived