High School Musical - Flying lyrics projections ?

louis

Hi, I'm directing High School Musical in the summer and I wanted to know at the start there is a karoke contest between with Troy and Gaberellia and I wanted to know if its possible to have the lyrics of the song floating/flying around the stage whlist they are singing it, Or is it possible to do ?

Regards

Louis

It's possible yes, but without much info I doubt people can help you. I'm not sure what it is your actually asking, so will proberly suggest speaking to someone like Unusual Rigging when you have worked out what it is you want from them.

What I want is to have the lyrics to the song, floating around the stage because its a karoke contest. I dont know if that is possible

repeating your original question isnt helpful! more info is needed -

do you want the physical, touchable words to be flying around? do you just want it to look like the words are flying round (such as a projection)? is it just the odd word "soaring" "flying" or the whole karaoke script? the more info you give the more help you'll get!

do you want the physical, touchable words to be flying around? do you just want it to look like the words are flying round (such as a projection)?

While I see that more details are required he has posted 'Flying lyrics projesctions' in Video and Projection.

I think where I am confused is whether you just want an effect or whether the words actually have to be read.

Projecting song lyrics is not hard, the difficulty comes with making them fly around. If you just want to create an effect by projecting the lyrics onto the set then you need something like a projector yoke or a very wide angled and powerful projector that can cover the whole stage. Both options are probably going to be expensive though.

If you actually want the audience to be able to read the words then you will have to project onto some sort of screen. The difficulty here comes in moving the screen and the projector and keeping the two in sync. I would have thought this would require a very sophisticated flying system.

I have just thought of another option. You could project the words onto a gause, that way you can still see the set but the words would be on a solid screen and visible. Not sure how easy this would be to light. You would have to be very careful with your design.

Am I close?

I think where I am confused is whether you just want an effect or whether the words actually have to be read. Projecting song lyrics is not hard, the difficulty comes with making them fly around. If you just want to create an effect by projecting the lyrics onto the set then you need something like a projector yoke or a very wide angled and powerful projector that can cover the whole stage. Both options are probably going to be expensive though.If you actually want the audience to be able to read the words then you will have to project onto some sort of screen. The difficulty here comes in moving the screen and the projector and keeping the two in sync. I would have thought this would require a very sophisticated flying system.I have just thought of another option. You could project the words onto a gause, that way you can still see the set but the words would be on a solid screen and visible. Not sure how easy this would be to light. You would have to be very careful with your design.Am I close?
Your spot on, I dont want to do it with the gauze but they dont have to be flying aslong as they are in the style of karoke but it would have to be as the audience does see the lyricsand as they are singind the song the lyrics carry on

it is possible. does the venue have a flying system? if so then you can use a fast fold screen or something appropriate hung off a fly bar, create a scrolling rate on a visual of the lyrics that scrolls slowly, and project that.

Alternatively, if they dont have to scroll, and depending on the size of the venue, you can print custom gobos and use Selecon pacifics.... using several pacifics with different parts of the song. a cheap projector:)

You would need quite a few profiles to pull that off SoLiEn, I really can't see it being that effective and quite a pain to focus, ok for a few selected words maybe but not the full 'karaoke' effect.

I suppose you could use a couple of synced up slide projectors but a video projector may work better.

Hello,

I do student tech with Louis at school. I was just talking to him, and the idea is as follows:

The first scene is done on the VERY FRONT of the stage, with the main curtains closed so the audience can't see the set. The 2 characters are singing, with the lyrics scrolling down behind them. So, my idea was to have a data projector (just a normal Epson one) hanging off the TOP lighting bar which is around 10-15ft from the curtains and is around 20ft in the air (hangs from the roof). Then, using a standard VGA cable, have a laptop somewhere with a program on showing the scrolling lyrics (to make it easy, I would probably do it with Adobe/Macromedia Flash).

Do you guys rekon this is a good idea?

Please, do say if you need anything explaining more, and sorry for my lack of terminology, I am the Sound guy, not Lighting ;)

Thanks,

Matt F

It is feasible, but as curtains tend to be dark colours, (blue/red etc) I would make sure that the text can be seen clearly against it. Different materials absorb the light differently, so its important to try it on the actual curtains (which shouldn't be a problem by the sounds of it) to make sure that your chosen text colour works on your curtains.

Just my 2p

I would recomend using church worship software to display the actually song words rather than Adobe. It is much better in a live situation. You can download a couple of good free ones, Easislides or OpenLP.

Archived