Splitting footswitch signal

The Boogie Man

I'll put this in sound as it's about my footswitch, although it's currently being used to step through the programs on my Jester lx board.

It's a simple mono jack end on a stomp switch, if I used two switches connected together using a jack connector to a summing lead (insert cable ) would it still work. I'm sure I can find out by experimenting ,but I havn't got a second switch handy

I know, your thinking why!! well I have my switch for the lights by my mike stand, but I'd like another one at stage front by the monitors.

cheers

baz

Depending on if the switch is normally open, or closed, I believe they are open, then yes it will work fine. You'll need to parallel the switches, so you want a splitter not insert cable. If they are normally closed, they would need to be in series, in which case then an insert lead would probably work I think, or to be more certain wire something up yourself.

I don't know whether an insert lead is the way to go, they are TRS jack (3 pole) so the sleeve is common, tip and ring go to the 2 different mono jacks.

It depends heavily on the wiring of your footswitch and the socket on your desk it plugs into.

Easiest route may well be a straight jack splitter (the kind you often see moulded in one unit with jack plug and 2 sockets). If your footswitch has a mono jack plug, a mono plug to 2 x mono socket should do it, if it's stereo and you don't fancy getting a meter onto your desk socket, play it safe and go for stereo plug to 2 x stereo socket.

Basically you're after a parallel split. My own system (built using a trash pc mouse with wires soldered to the left hand button contacts for a simple laptop "go" button) has a socket on the side of the foot switch to extend along to a second footswitch if I so need. There again, my footswitches are foot long industrial ones rescued from a skip at work. A simple bodge like that to your footswitch should be simple provided you have the space to drill the hole and mount it.

C

Edit; beaten by peter!

Ok, the jack into the desk is a simple mono quarter, so I'll try just a splitter instead of an insert.

What I might try if, I can scrounge a couple, is getting a couple of stomp switches, like on floor pedals etc. If theres only two wires then joining two pieces of instrument or speaker lead into one y lead with a mono jack at the desk end and two stomp buttons at the other two ends should work. Yes?

Are you wanting to split into two of the same identical bits of kit, or something else? Connecting dissimilar kit like this may give weird current loops as in effect you're connecting the inputs to each other. If in doubt, use a double pole switch or a mini box with isolating relay inside. Some footswitch inputs aren't straight voltage inputs, some have their input grounded and some scan the input with a voltage off a multiplexer...just be careful!

Archived