Where to buy theatre lamps

SoLiEn

currently we buy them from a local supplier, however they are above the price of others. does anyone know any good companies to buy lamps from?

Am in the sussex area. but as its delievered, might not matter.

I'm sure someone will say it so:

Have you tried the lamp code in google? e.g. "buy T26 lamp"

Personally I use Northern Stage Services or 10 out of 10 Productions and find them both very fast and reliable.

Go to http://www.thomann.de/gb/lighting_and_stage.html they have lots of lamps @ good prices & cheap delivery I know of a number of lighting people who use them. And I'm going to order any future lamps an equip from them. hope this helps.

Be careful with buying lamps from Germany. Most of them are rated for 230v, and it's surprising how much the extra 10 volts over here reduces lamp life...

Go to http://www.thomann.de/gb/lighting_and_stage.html they have lots of lamps @ good prices & cheap delivery I know of a number of lighting people who use them. And I'm going to order any future lamps an equip from them. hope this helps.

Be careful with buying lamps from Germany. Most of them are rated for 230v, and it's surprising how much the extra 10 volts over here reduces lamp life...

Thanks for tip before I started using them!!

... especially given that parts of the country regularly see voltages at the socket of quite a bit more than 240v.

And unfortunately it all falls under the EU spec for such things.

Local leccy supplier to an office I do some IT work for think there's nothing wrong with a supply of nominal 250V which is continually tripping the UPS for the servers rated at 240V (yes I've changed the trim voltage to it's maximum (quite rightly) of 253V) so even the UK bulbs can, as Gareth said, experience a lot more than 240V.

Jake

Sorry, slightly off the original topic but I thought it was changed many moons ago that the UK should be 230V (granted +/- a ridiculous 10%) to bring it more in line with the rest of the EU ??

You are now making me doubt myself or is it the case that domestic is 230V and industrial is still 240V ?

It was changed on paper, but nothing actually changed. They got away with it by fudging the tolerances. It used to be 240v +/-6% ... now, it's 230v +10%/-6%. So the upper limit of tolerance used to be 254v, now it's 253v. Nothing changed, but the useless Brussels pen-pushers were appeased.

currently we buy them from a local supplier, however they are above the price of others. does anyone know any good companies to buy lamps from?
Simple.. show your supplier these prices you've found from other suppliers and ask if they'll match it. If they value the business they do with you, chances are they'll match...

Or atleast most suppliers have in my experience...

Tom

It was changed on paper, but nothing actually changed. They got away with it by fudging the tolerances. It used to be 240v +/-6% ... now, it's 230v +10%/-6%. So the upper limit of tolerance used to be 254v, now it's 253v. Nothing changed, but the useless Brussels pen-pushers were appeased.

AFAIK the voltage is now 230 volts plus or minus 10%, that is from 207 volts to 253 volts.

I believe that this was from the begining of this year, and that previosly it was 230 volts plus 10% and minus 6%.

as others point out, the actual voltage is typically nearer 240 volts, most of the time for most consumers.

Archived