my theatre has no throw

3pens

Hello All

I work in a small studio venue where the rig height is 3.6 metres. The average throw distance is not much more than between 2 and 4 metres. I am looking at purchasing some PC's (or some exceptionally wide fresnels). What I am looking for is a small unit (in terms of its physical size) whose beam angle can reach upwards of 60 degrees oh and nothing more than 1KW (650w would be nice). Does anyone have any reccomendations.

Budget is around £100 - £150 per luminaire but cost not really important if the instrument is wide enough.

Happy new year!

3pens

What about something from ETCs Source4 PAR range.

Lanterns are 575watt and come with four lenses - narow spot, spot, flood, wide flood and an optional fifth lens, extra wide flood taking beam spread out to 65o, very versatile lanterns.

IMHO Source 4 Pars are too expensive and too inflexible ( all that faffing about with lenses to get one beam angle? ) for the OP requirements. I would also steer clear of S4 PARnels on this occasion. They go wide but "hole out" in the middle and have a really uneven coverage.

All the decent small 500w/650w fresnels should go wide enough and the Acclaims are good value and are reasonably reliable.

we have a good stock of acclaim fresnels and they will do the job 100% satisfaction. Nice little lamp, easy to use / clean / repair.

My ONLY gripe with them (and this is being really petty) is when u need to push back the little colour frame holder clip guard. Gets a wee bit hot when the lamps been on for a while - but then thats nothing that a glove or a bit of rag to protect your fingers wont solve!! Also of course, they spot right down nicely as well!

Def. go for these. I dont think you will get any better for the price - new or 2nd hand.

Seconded (or whatever) on the Selecon Acclaim, but if buying second hand make sure it is the Acclaim, and not the older Selecon 650W frez, the old ones were optically adequate but mechanically a fecking nightmare; the Acclaim has the integrated safety bond length adjuster and the easy-flip latch for the barn doors, and it is noteworthy that the barn doors no longer fall apart in one's hand...

I'm pretty sure that the Minuette fresnels will give at least 60*. I use them quite a lot and they aren't bad though I personally if you want to spend a bit more go for the selecon acclaims. They supoesedly also have a better light output than its rivals the starnd quartet and cct minuette.

I'm pretty sure that the Minuette fresnels will give at least 60*. I use them quite a lot and they aren't bad though I personally if you want to spend a bit more go for the selecon acclaims. They supoesedly also have a better light output than its rivals the starnd quartet and cct minuette.

Agreed the old minuette fresnels are a nice little lantern, downside I've found is that they have a tendency to 'burn out' their ceramic after a few years of rigorous usage. and trying to fit barndoors AND a colour frame in their anorexic frame holders can be a bleeding headache.

I know everyone's said it before...

But I got the Selecon PC zooms (6* to 60 degree) on a show last year.

Pros: Small, easy to set up.

Cons: Run hot, chews through gel like candy, wide flood is messy (not even), and spot isn't very tight.

That being said, in a small theatre with short throw, I don't think I could ask for a better light. Call selecon and see if they can cut your supplier a deal on X*2 number of units, where you'll be purchasing X number of units. It might make your dealer happy enough to work something out...

EDIT:

Also, the Electro Controls Fresnels (look like cylinders with holes around one end) are 14 to 60 degrees I think. F***ing great fresnels! Amazingly even field. Add a bit of R119(?), whichever that super light frost is... and you have perfectly flat field. Hard to find though...

Hi,I'd go for the PC version of the 650 watt selecon. Will go to a beam angle of 64 deg. You will also get less spill out of PC which is probably better if you using this as FOH key lights. HTHTim
Thanks TimFOH Keylight was what we had in mind, I will trial some from Selecon.Thanks everyone for all your useful comments.
I know everyone's said it before...But I got the Selecon PC zooms (6* to 60 degree) on a show last year.Pros: Small, easy to set up.Cons: Run hot, chews through gel like candy, wide flood is messy (not even), and spot isn't very tight.That being said, in a small theatre with short throw, I don't think I could ask for a better light. Call selecon and see if they can cut your supplier a deal on X*2 number of units, where you'll be purchasing X number of units. It might make your dealer happy enough to work something out...EDIT:Also, the Electro Controls Fresnels (look like cylinders with holes around one end) are 14 to 60 degrees I think. F***ing great fresnels! Amazingly even field. Add a bit of R119(?), whichever that super light frost is... and you have perfectly flat field. Hard to find though...
Thanks Scott who makes these? Where can I find them?

• 1 month later...
I know everyone's said it before...But I got the Selecon PC zooms (6* to 60 degree) on a show last year.Pros: Small, easy to set up.Cons: Run hot, chews through gel like candy, wide flood is messy (not even), and spot isn't very tight.That being said, in a small theatre with short throw, I don't think I could ask for a better light. Call selecon and see if they can cut your supplier a deal on X*2 number of units, where you'll be purchasing X number of units. It might make your dealer happy enough to work something out...EDIT:Also, the Electro Controls Fresnels (look like cylinders with holes around one end) are 14 to 60 degrees I think. F***ing great fresnels! Amazingly even field. Add a bit of R119(?), whichever that super light frost is... and you have perfectly flat field. Hard to find though...
Thanks Scott who makes these? Where can I find them?

Which? Selecon makes the PC/Fresnel Zooms (http://www.seleconlight.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=88&Itemid=115)

Electro Controls...? I don't know who picked those up, but from what I heard, they're not made anymore... Damn shame IMHO. Great fresnels.

I hear the S4 Parnels are nice (though might not be wide enough for your use.

Best Bet? Selecon Fresnel / PC Zooms. Not sure who distributes them near where you are. I'm up in Canada, and the biggest seller locally (of selecon) is Jack Frost Lighting.

The ADB "A" Series PC will give you 9 to 66 degrees, and can be used with 300, 500, or 650W lamps...

... the ADB Eurospot fresnel goes to 65 degrees compared to the Minuette F's 57 degree spread.

Alternatively, the ADB "A" Series (A56C) PC goes 66 degrees and gives a similar beam type.

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but the ADB Softlux fluorescent wash light gives a nice soft wash and some beam control via barndoors. It's dimmable via DMX control.

HTH

Barney

A lot of people seem to be raving about the Selecon Acclaim... we recently purchased 20 of these for a new install in one of our Town Hall venues, and while they do seem very robust, I have three major gripes about them:

1. As has been mentioned already, the colour frame retaining clip can be a bit awkward, especially when hot.

2. I've found the focus adjustment tends to stick a lot more than I've noticed on other small fresnels.

3. The main one - especially considering the OP's requirements - they burn through gels like nothing I've ever seem when focussed to the widest flood. I've had to replace even paler colours after just one night, not because they're faded, but because they've burned right through! I found that removing the wire shatter-guard helped, but we are still finding it is a problem. The lens could be very close to the gel or something, but we don't get the same issue with our Prelude Fs or Minuette Fs. Being a small stage, we tend to use them focussed wide most of the time.

Just my experience with them.

Incidentally - someone mentioned Minuette F - I believe these are quoted as a 57 degree max angle, so may just do what you need.

Ben.

Archived