Vari*lite equivalents

Rob

I need a couple of Moving heads like the MAC 500 to do GOBO effects on the side of a building. I'm not very well up on the Vari*lite model numbers, so what do people recommend? I dont need anything too fancy, but it has to be fairly punchy over a long throw and have two GOBO wheels so that I can do water effects. I'm thinking of the 2000 or 3000 series really.

Rob,

VL wise, the 2000 series kick a*se!

VL2202 (profile version) has an amazing zoom and is very bright.

We had two of them in domes doing gobo fades across a CityColor washed building for a recent event in london.

To hire they are in demand from most places, and can cost a little

(*but I dont think hire is a problem is it*) ;)

I have it on good advice from the Moving Light Company that the Mac 500 is the perfect choice for producing water effects, the VL's don't come close in thier performance and rating. Plus the cost of a VL far outway's its abilities in this particular requirement. If you need any advice on this contact the Moving Light Company on 02082544000 ;)

I have it on good advice from the Moving Light Company that the Mac 500 is the perfect choice for producing water effects, the VL's don't come close in thier performance and rating.  Plus the cost of a VL far outway's its abilities in this particular requirement.  If you need any advice on this contact the Moving Light Company on 02082544000 ;)

Rubbish! The VL2202 blows the Mac500 out of the water in almost every respect. The only downside is that they are not as cheap to hire, but you get what you pay for and more besides.

There aren't many places with decent hire stocks of VL2202's - I reckon your best bets might be Set Lighting or Richard Martin.

As Mr Monk insinuates, laying our hands on the kit won't be a problem for this particular project! It's for college and we have strong links with VL and various other companies who seem to fall over themselves to be nice to us. Something to do with them wanting us to like their kit more than anyone else's...! ;)

For reference (and hire purposes) Richard Martin do have a reasonably large stock of VL2202 / 2402 and 2416's but they do tend to deal with TV most of the time.

The VL2202 is an amazing fixture, well worth using and knocks a mac500 well out!!!!

Speak to you soon if you want Rob?!

And if you need a hand on the project then let me know mate! ;)

For reference (and hire purposes) Richard Martin do have a reasonably large stock of VL2202 / 2402 and 2416's but they do tend to deal with TV most of the time.

The VL2202 is an amazing fixture, well worth using and knocks a mac500 well out!!!!

You're quite right, RML do deal mainly with the TV market (that's how I know them). But I'm sure if they had a few VL2202's doing nothing, and you offered them some money for a few days' hire, they'd be quite happy to oblige!

And you're also right in your evaulation of the VL2202 as a top-notch bit of kit, that piddles on the Mac500 from a great height. If only they were a bit cheaper ... ;)

Guest lightnix
I have it on good advice from the Moving Light Company that the Mac 500 is the perfect choice for producing water effects, the VL's don't come close in thier [sic] performance and rating.

Er... that wouldn't have anything to do with MLCs huge stock of Macs, now would it ? I'm sorry, VLs may have their little foibles but you just can't compare Macs with Series 2000/3000, it's like the difference between Star Trek and Star Trek TNG.

Apart from that, I wasn't aware that Mac500s were ever in the running for architectural use - just not bright enough, especially compared with VLs.

Archived