wireless mic on 2 recievers

avdavesound

So long as both receivers properly match the transmitter then, yes, no problem. Please note you can't always mix and match different models of mic/receiver due to differing companding schemes, pilot tones, etc.

Also note that you can't go the other way around. Two microphones into one receiver is a no no.

Bob

So long as both receivers properly match the transmitter then, yes, no problem. Please note you can't always mix and match different models of mic/receiver due to differing companding schemes, pilot tones, etc.

Also note that you can't go the other way around. Two microphones into one receiver is a no no.

Bob

thanks. is there a beltpack reciever that can scan for frequencys if the frequency is unknown?

thanks. is there a beltpack reciever that can scan for frequencys if the frequency is unknown?

I've always got my nikkai RP80 frequency counter in my kit whenever I'm doing a gig involving radios - will tell you what frequency anything is transmitting on up to 3GHz - I'd be lost without it! It used to be on offer from maplins now & again for a not unreasonable price.

A local church has two radio mics, of different manufacture, both on 174.10, each with its own receiver. I discovered this when asked to advise on replacing the Nady lavalier mic system, which had a faulty hard-wired mic/aerial lead. (I was able to repair it instead). They also have an Olympic hand-held. Normally they use one or the other, but have found for themselves that results are unpredictable if both are used at the same time (I haven't heard it). I assume that each receiver tries to lock on to its own transmitter, or perhaps can't make its mind up.

I assume that each receiver tries to lock on to its own transmitter, or perhaps can't make its mind up.
Not quite. In most cases, the strongest signal wins - it's called capture effect. In practice the strongest one predominates, the weaker one tending to be suppressed and just appearing as noise on the signal. However, running two systems on the same channel is just plain daft - as all it takes is for the strong signal to suddenly be weakened by somebody turning away at the same time as the weak one is unscreened for the situation to reverse and the wrong mic suddenly taking over.

I am suggesting that they get another on another frequency to cope with the odd occasions when they might want both. However, there was conflict a few years ago with another church 100 yards away, so we need to establish what frequenc(y)ies they are using.

In this connection, I am finding it difficult to establish from the other running thread whether the exempt VHF frequencies will continue to be available as before.

In this connection, I am finding it difficult to establish from the other running thread whether the exempt VHF frequencies will continue to be available as before.

As far as I'm aware, the frequencies in the VHF exempt band are still unaffected. There was some playing around just above the 'free to use' VHF spectrum, as a chunk was given to DAB and radio licence holders were moved.

However, the church's two radios are on a legacy frequency (which were 173·800MHz, 174·100MHz, 174·500MHz, 174·800MHz 175·000MHz). The available frequencies have been changed to: 173·800MHz, 174·000MHz, 174·200MHz, 174·400MHz 174·600MHz 174·800MHz 175·000MHz.

When choosing a new radio set, you will need to check not only the church up the road, but also for intermodulation problems with the existing 174.100 radio.

Furthermore, many of the larger manufacturers (Shure, Trantec, Sennheiser) do not make VHF radios any more.

There is free to use spectrum in the UHF (863 – 865MHz) and radios in this band can often be retuned to different frequencies. There's quite a lot of choice in UHF radio mics, but there's also a lot of people using them...

Simon

Archived