Gobo Holders

Gerry

Anybody know of a list of actual sizes of gobo holders?

I have some odd profiles and am wondering what gobo holder, with a little bit of filing, might fit.

I've searched Google etc but haven't found any actual dimensions of various gobo holders.

Cheers

Gerry

Edited for spelling

Hi Gerry,

Well you've obviously seen the proprietory versions so you have the idea of what's required.

I make two short radial saw cuts away from the hole edge and then bend this 'tab' up 90o then using a file I clean off the cutting burrs and radius the corners, then I lay the gobo holder on a flat hard surface (I have a large steel block) with the tab pointing up, I place an off-cut of plate across the gap created by bending up the tab and then I bend back down the tab onto the off-cut and give it a whack with the hammer, making sure that the off-cut dosen't slip/jump out. This creates a small dogleg in the tab which can then be fine tuned with the hammer or a pair of pliers.

The dimensions of the tab will depend on the size of gobo and you might have to make a couple to get it exactly right but I find even badly made ones will successfully hold a gobo.

If you require to hold glass gobos you can make suitable cranked tabs from small pieces of plate and secure them to the main plate with small CSK self tappers or a pop rivet depending upon clearances in the gate.

Hope you can follow that

Wuddy

Hi Wuddy

Thanks for the easy to follow explanation.

All I need to do now is find somewhere that sells A and B size hole cutters ;) :P :** laughs out loud **:

Cheers

Gerry

Hi Wuddy

All I need to do now is find somewhere that sells A and B size hole cutters ;) :P :** laughs out loud **:

Cheers

Gerry

For size A you need something around 90mm diameter and that will probably need a hydraulic press. However, for size B this one will be fine. A lot of hard work though.

BTW which browser are you using? The link to the Rosco page showed all the dimensions on the drawings (in inches) using Opera. They must be missing from yours.

Edited for SPaG.

Hi Wuddy

Cheers

Gerry

For size A you need something around 90mm diameter and that will probably need a hydraulic press. However, for size B this one will be fine. A lot of hard work though.

BTW which browser are you using? The link to the Rosco page showed all the dimensions on the drawings (in inches) using Opera. They must be missing from yours.

Edited for SPaG.

Nah, you don't need to go to all that trouble or expense, Starrett hole cutters are sufficient.

You don't need a perfect edge to the hole, as long as you remove any sharp edge caused by the machining.

I use firefox.

The page does show the sizes of 4 gobo holders for metal gobos for a very limited range of spotlights.

The full range GH01 to GHxx don't show the actual sizes.

I'll go along with Wuddy's suggestion and makemy own using normal hole saws.

Cheers

Gerry

Archived