What is 'Class'?

Josh 2

Just out of curiousity…

I've noticed (browsing ad's etc) that some equipment (usually amps) is spec'd as 'Class', eg: Class A, Class B etc. What does this mean/stand for and what equipment does it apply to?

Thanks,

Josh

Thanks Paul, thanks Simon,

Interesting links.

Do you know what pro's/con's there would be with Class H amps, anything I should worry about, because I'm presently considering a couple of this design.

Josh

Well, the QSC PLX range use class H, and I haven't heard anyone say a bad word about these amps. However, as with all designs, it's down to a) the integrity of the particular electronic design, and b) the integrity of the actual components and manufacturing process that determines the overall quality and reliability. In QSC's case, both are exemplary.

If you have a particular amp in mind, can you listen to it, or use on on a gig to evaluate it?

Simon

Well, the QSC PLX range use class H, and I haven't heard anyone say a bad word about these amps. However, as with all designs, it's down to a) the integrity of the particular electronic design, and b) the integrity of the actual components and manufacturing process that determines the overall quality and reliability. In QSC's case, both are exemplary.

If you have a particular amp in mind, can you listen to it, or use on on a gig to evaluate it?

Simon

Well said, Simon.

A little story.....

Years ago (in my 'green' days), I never thought I'd be able to tell the difference, between one power amp and another, but boy, was I wrong. I'd been using a Samson Servo 550, (don't know it's class tho'), for a couple of years, I liked it, the sound was good, it was, after all a studio quality amplifier. Then I bought my first QSC PLX amp, the sound quality was totally better. The top end was far crisper and the bass flowed, the difference in quality was instantly noticable.

And now, a few years on, I have 4x QSC amps, and the Samson hasn't been used since the day I bought the first one. (I don't think), and it'll be going up for sale soon, as I really don't have any use for it (well as a drum sidefill possibly)

To spec an amp, an idea of it's intended application, ruggedness, your budget, and sound quality are all factors to assess.

But like most things, usually :) you get what you pay for. There are a great many good amp manufactures out there, you just need to factor them into your budget vs power requirements.

Edited for spelling

..... Years ago (in my 'green' days), I never thought I'd be able to tell the difference, between one power amp and another, but boy, was I wrong. I'd been using a Samson Servo 550, (don't know it's class tho'), for a couple of years, I liked it, the sound was good, it was, after all a studio quality amplifier. Then I bought my first QSC PLX amp, the sound quality was totally better. The top end was far crisper and the bass flowed, the difference in quality was instantly noticable.

Thanks again guy's.

Lightsource, by coincidence it is Samson amp's I am considering… a pair of SX3200's.

I know these amp's don't spring to mind as 'standards', but my reasoning is, I have been using a modest Samson TXM20 power mixer (full range and FOH) and it has performed very well (apart from the on-board dfx which are horrible). The rest of the band also prefer the sound of the Samson's mixer amp compared with our stand alone EV1200. I also have the chance to get hold of the Samson's at a fair price.

As has been mentioned, logic say's that design, components and construction must figure in an amps performance and reliability, but I am a little confused. One of the first things I read (can't find it again) in the BR was a comment or two suggesting that modern amp's are pretty much of a much-ness as far as sound quality goes. Due to my location, I'm never going to get the chance to audition/experience many amp's and perhaps my untrained ears wouldn't notice the difference amongst all the other variables, but do you guy's really hear a difference in amp's in live performances???

Don't ask me why, I'm probably wrong!, but something within me say's the speakers are the major factor (given that the amp is of at least reasonable quality) in sound.

Am I barking up the wrong tree… or just barking!?

Thanks.

Archived