leaving a projector on 24/7

lonfire

Hi,

I've been asked todo a project where they want to leave a projector on for a whole week 24 hours a day.. apart from the obvious amount of lamp hours it'll use are there any other problems to doing that? its a 3500 lumen hitachi projector, haven't got the model number off the top of my head, its not particularly new, around 2 years old I think.. I did read somewhere that some manufacturers say if you leave their projectors on 24/7 it will invalidate the warrantee (not that we are worried about that, but it obviously doesn't do them any good)..

anybody got any thoughts on this?

thanks

chris

One of the "tests" (or marketing exercises - depending upon your viewpoint) that was carried out soon after DLP projectors came to market, was leaving an LCD and DLP unit on for several months. The LCDs did not fare well.

You can read an analysis of the test here - it may well be of use to you!

Simon

I've not used the CP-X880 before but I do use a couple of the more powerful CP-X1250 regularly and they have worked without trouble for 5 continuous days at a time. As Light Console suggests I would check the filters before the long run as this series have a sensor in the filter that will keep putting messages on the screen when it starts getting blocked (could be a hassle if you are not close by to clean it!)

I've seen the Mitsubishi XL series projectors run continuously for 3-4 week with no obvious problems apart from the cost of the lamp (due to teachers not turning them off when they go off for the 6 week holidays)

I'd also check what the room temperature is going to be where the projectors are based, is it air conditioned or some small box room? They do give off a lot of heat when on continuously.

hi guys,

thanks for the replies.. some good stuff there.. actualy our other projector is CP-X1200.. to be honest from the sounds of it, it is possible todo but its unclear the damage it will cause to the LCD in the projector.. also as it turns out only a couple of people will ever be viewing the screen at any one time.. so theres no point risking the projector (and using up valuable bulb hours) for something that can be sorted with a normal screen..

thanks

chris

Archived