Fame The Musical

swieprecht

Its our local youth groups production of Fame to celebrate 5 years of existance. I know it doesnt sund much compared to other groups but as it was set up by 16 years old with everything against us it means alot to the members.

We are doing Fame and I need to get hold of a Fame logo gobo for a house warmer. Im also after any ideas and suggestions you may have as to nice little touches we can add to the show either sound, lighting, prop, set, or effect wise. We really want to make it a magic production. I dont have much of a budget so really want some good ideas that I can work cheaply. The Gobo/House Warmer idea for purchase is the main but any ideas would be great.

Thanks,

Scott

p.s you can email scott@stage-stars.co.uk if you would prefer

I'd do the gobo using a Selecon Pacific profile, and print the gobo up on OHP type film on a colour inkjet.

The Pacific is unique in that where you put gobo the light is cool, and an OHP film image will last several hours. In most profiles the gobo position is effing hot, and will melt metal, let alone OHP film.

Of course, there are legal and licencing issues around using the fame logo, if you do a search back you'll find some information on it...

I'd second the suggestion to use a Pacific and print the logo onto OHP film. Regarding the copyright issue - perhaps the best thing to do is, when you arrange the license for performing the show, talk to the publishers about using the logo as well.

Other suggestions? Remember it's an 80's show - they didn't have many moving lights in the 80's! The original UK production used a lot of blue neon outlining the contours of the set - you couldn't see it when off, but when it made a sudden appearance part-way through the title song it was kind of a "wow!" moment when seeing it for the first time. The other effect that I can remember was a 'wall' of M16 birdie lamps upstage, used during "Dancing On The Sidewalk".

Thanks for all your input so far guys, I really wanted to do for a standard gobo then an OHP. We have the option to project it using the theatres projector however we are using that for the initial opening sequence for a new york video montage so want to do something that will stand out from that. The legal issues arent a problem - once you pay for rights to the show and add the logo pack you can use it for promotional and theatrical uses for the duration of the show so I can get one made that isnt an issue.

Thanks also for your comments that it is an 80's show. While I appreciate this its also being done in the naughties so I do want to bring it into date, I have some Macs that I will be using, just after some clever thing that people may have seen done with or without them.

I love this idea of a screen of pin spots, that could work out very expensive though could it. Even if I buy battens im still going to need a heck of a lot!

Scott

I really wanted to do for a standard gobo then an OHP

You misunderstand - there was no suggestion of using an OHP, as in an overhead projector - just that the logo be printed onto OHP FILM, which is then used as a gobo in a suitable profile spot, namely the Selecon Pacific.

Quite so - single custom gobos aren't cheap. You've got a tooling charge to pay, possibly some studio time if your artwork isn't camera-ready, and then a cost per gobo. If you have two or more to the same design, it gets a lot cheaper per gobo - you only have to pay the setup charges once, then it's just a price per unit.

Re. Custom gobos, we were paying Rosco £49.00 for first one and £10.00 per copy in February 2007.

You probably do a bit more business with Rosco than I do!

According to my cash book, I paid £78.14 (£66.50+vat) in June 2006. Invoice is buried in the depths of the office somewhere so I don't know the breakdown of it, but it was for 2 gobos, presumably including setup charge and postage.

Assuming they do everything digitally, I sent them a .bmp file of the artwork.

I have two Glass Gobos of the word FAME. Have used them in one show from new. size B and come with gobo holders to fit Cantata profiles. Selling them for £100 or next best offer! The gobos are in Northumberland in the North East. Email me for Pictures of the projection.

Once again thank you all for your help so far - although I have a reasonable budget it looks like glass custom gobos are going to be way to expensive so im going to go with the cool profile idea - just to clarify can I print with an inkjet printer or not?

any other suggestions of tips and tricks for the show welcome :)

You can print with inkjet on to inkjet acetate, but if you can do a high res colour photocopy the type of acetate is more robust and you can make the lantern that little bit brighter (90% ish I have got out rather than ~80%).

May I ask a question about this, as it's something I've been asked to look at? I think it's close enough to the OP to be on topic.

Our marketing department would like us to make it more obvious where we're from at the gigs we do. We're going to get some new backdrops & banners made, but I was also thinking of doing something with light(s) as well. With a (laserjet) printed gobo would I get useful time (would need up to 4 hours) with the lamp plugged directly into the mains, or would I have to invest in a small dimmer to run at 90%. Marketing seem to have lots of ££££ and would run to glass gobos, but I like the idea of printing up a special version for one off events.

Archived