Mixer problem

spriguns

Hi all.

I have been using my studiomaster club2000 18/2 mixer for some time without a fault until today :)

Powered up the mixer and all the peak lights came on, xero output from main out`s and headphones.

internal fuse is OK, any ideas, or is this a dodo mixer :o .

Cheers

Daryll

We had this once. This is going to sound a really bad post, but it was EITHER:

The power supply wasn't properly connected (I've no idea why this would create the problem, but I seem to remember it :()

OR

An effects channel was only plugged in halfway (This sounds more realistic to me)

Try these, but I'm not sure how helpful I've been!

Chris

The power supply wasn't properly connected (I've no idea why this would create the problem, but I seem to remember it :()
I don't know the mixer, but if the power supply is giving a +V and -V rail, plus common, you might have lost one rail or common. Bent pin, broken wire or solder joint. This could explain your symptoms.

Thanks for your replys.

I "think" I have found the problem.

Inside the mixer are the channel boards, theese go to a small board that has the headphone amp tape send/receive and the bar leds, all very common.

At the top is the PSU all screened and sealed.

That leaves one board which I presume has the smoothing caps,and the common + - rails.

Hers the tech bit, I gentle tapped this board with a screwdriver.. :( .all the peak leds go off and the mixer is spot on.

I think I will remove the board and check all the solder joints.

Picture is http://www.crimson-tide-disco.co.uk/images/cb1.jpg

Can't quite make out the numbers on those two TO220 packages but they look like 78** and 79** series + and - voltage regulators, so that is your main power supply PCB. Solder joints are almost certainly to blame here. Check the connections on the cable looms that plug in to the board too.

Can't quite make out the numbers on those two TO220 packages but they look like 78** and 79** series + and - voltage regulators, so that is your main power supply PCB. Solder joints are almost certainly to blame here. Check the connections on the cable looms that plug in to the board too.

I'd agree with Shez. Just remember that the tab on a 79xx regulator is at the negative supply potential and must be isolated from the heatsink (which is usually grounded). Check that you don't have an intermittent short between them.

Some of the smaller Studiomaster mixers run on a single voltage rail - so if one of the regulators is a 78xx and the other is an LM317 - this will be for the +48 volt phantom supply. However the description of the fault does suggest a dual supply - with one rail intermittently failing.

Anyway - by the time you read this I think you might have sorted your problem - but you will probably find that you have a disconnection between a pad and a track on the PCB, this is a common problem on these PSU's.

A neat repair can be made with tinned copper wire!

Let us know what you find!

Archived