HEMP

Big Jay

a) Shouldn't this be in staging and rigging?

b) The theatre should have specified a max working load. One thing to consider is how you are going to fly out 150 or so kg of lights! You would need lots of bodys or a close motor bar to assist it out.

HTH

AndyJones

Edit: Added my name and sorted my spelling.

I'd point out that you didn't mention whether the load was evenly distributed, or what the spacing of the lines is; In my experience, hemp sets often have lower-technology battens, for example Schedule 40 water pipe with simple screw couplings, rather than trusses or at least sleeved-splices.

While it doesn't make reckless behaviour right, for 50 to 75 years or longer, in the U.S., hemp sets were used for electric battens that had much more than 200kg, and bundles of cables (I mean, not modern multicables) that made one end much heavier, even with a pickup line. It was standard to chain these off to the grid after they were pulled up and trimmed. That was as much because they would not stay trimmed (i.e. the pipe "straight") as for sensible safety reasons. I recall mostly 5/8" diameter hemp, and I was lucky enough never to see much rope that needed to be retired immediately. In the 1980s, I visited a few smaller road houses in the U.S. that were 100% hemp sets.

Archived