Brit Row

iamchristuffin

The reason I haven't asked Brit Row themselves, is that I know, as BR members have said many times, that knowing the name of the person you're looking to speak to beforehand is good, because it shows you've done your homework.

Can anyone help me, or is everyone going to just assume I'm lazy and can't pick up a telephone??

;)

Well yes, but you could acknowledge the fact that you've BEEN on their website and noted that the guy you WERE going to speak to has now likely left and thus you don't know the name of the replacement person.

That's what I would do...

Well yes, but you could acknowledge the fact that you've BEEN on their website
Their website says Dee Miller (would) leave in February 2007, so I guess they haven't had time to update it
Isn't that what this sentence says??
I think Mr.Si is proposing you explain that to them when you phone them up.

why is phoning them and asking for the warehouse manager such a difficult task?

The reason I haven't asked Brit Row themselves, is that I know, as BR members have said many times, that knowing the name of the person you're looking to speak to beforehand is good, because it shows you've done your homework.

Does that answer your question??

EDIT: This isn't meant to be crabby, but it does look a bit like that!

I'm going to phone anyway, but I think it's better if you know the name of the person you're speaking to!

Yes Chris - it DOES sound crabby.

However, knowing the name of who you want to speak to depends entirely upon WHY you wish to speak with them.

Are you looking for a job?

Are you looking for a supplier?

Do you have something THEY want?

To be honest, in any case, you're hardly going to give a bad impression by calling them to ask the switchboard the guy's name, if you explain your reasons for wanting it...

Okay...moving this in a very lateral direction...

Since the "phone call" is going to be asking about the possibility of a job, I suggest you don't do it by phone at all...send a letter.

Every manager will be different, but I suspect there would be general agreement amongst those in a position to hire that the last thing you want in the middle of a busy day is an unsolicited phone call asking for work. It's far more considerate to send a letter...including a c.v....that can be dealt with at an appropriate time when the manager is in the mood to deal with applications.

By all means phone the switchboard in advance to ask the name (and exact title) of the person to send the letter to. The fact that you've talked to the switchboard will never get back to the manager in question so counts as "doing your research". If you're really keen and you haven't had a response to your letter in two or three weeks, THEN make a quick call along the lines of "Hi. This is Chris Tuffin. I sent a letter applying for work a few weeks ago and just wanted to make sure you received it and see if you had any openings coming up". That at least makes sure the call can be quick and business like if the manager is busy...but leaves the door open for a longer chat if the time is right.

Anyhow, that's my tuppence worth.

Bob

Maybe some Brit Row staff are on this forum.... definitely on UKSLC.

Worth asking a few questions, then it will look like you've done your homework.

Although they've probably read this post already and are waiting by the phone now... ;)

Archived