Help!! Need a Gauze curtain !!!!!!

Justymc

Hi guys.

Have a problem. Doing a corporate presentation in a large hotel function room. We need to create a gauze curtain to drop in and out during the presentation to reveal the stage set behind.

The problem being the ceiling height is only 12 foot to the tiles so no flying capability.

The stage aperture is 20 foot wide.

The idea is that whilst the person at the lecturn is talking the stage set is changed behind the gauze and then revealed to enable a group to play 2 songs then reset and change again for the next act and so on.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I have seen the manual rope idea briefly but need some decent pictures to make sense of it.

Does anyone know of a motorised roller 20 foot wide or something similar.

Cheers

First question - why a gauze?

Do you need to be able to back-light it and reveal the bands behind before you reveal them?

Or are you just unfamiliar with the way gauzes are used?

On the actual enquiry, I can't unfortunately help, but suspect you may be struggling to find a portable 20 ft roll drop mechanism...

:P

I was thinking he'd suspend it the same way he'd suspend the motorised roller he asked about in the OP. :)

Which, reading between the OP's lines, hasn't been defined... :P ;) :D

I suspect he's not a theatre type person, thus won't necessarily have the knowledge/experience of a rigger...

Course - I may be wrong (apologies to the OP...!)

I suspect he's not a theatre type person, thus won't necessarily have the knowledge/experience of a rigger...

Have a look at his signature and web site, then decide if he's "a theatre type person" :P

Cheers

Gerry

Have a look at his signature and web site, then decide if he's "a theatre type person" ;)

Hmmm...

A little on the sketchy side in some ways, but I'll grant you that point. :P

Though LX & FX isn't necessarily a qualifier for understanding rigging etc...

How often do you work in hotel ballrooms?

My guess will be never or close to... <_<

Most big hotels have suitable rigging points for almost anything. Whilst I acknowlage the op has specified none exsist, they are normally available. Many have unistrut type track blended into the decor for suspending. Most venue staff have very little idea its there.

Admittedly not a great deal, though I have done a handful of corporate gigs in the last couple of years - and as far as I'm aware I didn't see any suspension points...

The last one was at Alton Towers hotel - anyone know what they have in their ceiling?

BUT my point (partly) was the fact that a 20ft span is quite a long one for a roll-drop either way. You'd need a fair sized barrel to stop it sagging too much...

But anyway - the OP hasn't bothered to come back and respond to the questions that need answering in over a week, so maybe the point's moot anyway...!

:S

Hi,

Here's an idea we've used in venues with little or no overhead rigging capabilities. In our case it's been for backdrops therefore at the rear of the stage, in your case it will depend whether or not you require access for exit/entry across the gauze threshold and esthetics.

Lay the gauze along its line on the floor and hide it behind a plywood? upstand, then two lines over ceiling (or truss on stands) mounted pullies used to lift top edge of gauze to ceiling.

First question - why a gauze?

Do you need to be able to back-light it and reveal the bands behind before you reveal them?

Or are you just unfamiliar with the way gauzes are used?On the actual enquiry, I can't unfortunately help, but suspect you may be struggling to find a portable 20 ft roll drop mechanism... :)

Hi Ynot

Sorry for the delay but been off the Island and not had chance to get to a computer as we were doing a job.

Yes I am familiar with how a gauze works. And Yes we need to produce a reveal effect for the band. This will happen 6 times during the conference.

The stage will be set each time whilst the speaker is at the lecturn and then the band will be revealed to play a couple of tracks and then the gauze needs to come back in after they have finished and be front lit and also used for some projected effects.

We have found a modular roller system made by Gerriets and this is out of the country in france and costs a couple of thousand a week to hire and cant be justified for one night.

ASG also make tumblers but we cant find any for hire.

Are you projecting anything important onto the gauze (e.g. a laptop presentation)? If it's just to look pretty behind the presenter, then how about using gauze tabs and take them sideways rather than up?
Gauze tabs may indeed be an option and this was one of the first solutions that we looked at. We are only projecting some graphic patterns onto the gauze.

We would prefer it to go up if possible. Just wanted to see if anyone knew of any copmpanys that hire tumblers.

could you just not biuld a set with a set of sliding doors made as a frame with gauze?

We do a lot of corp jobs at hotels like metropole etc where the height to tiles is not that great and there are never the rigging points in the place that you need them - and clients always want this reveal look -so that what we just go for now.

then how about using gauze tabs and take them sideways rather than up?
I suspect the main problem here is how the OP is going to suspend something with a 20ft span in a hotel ballroom...
There are plenty of rigging points in the venue and we work there at least once a month however we have never been required to do this type of reveal effect in there.
I was thinking he'd suspend it the same way he'd suspend the motorised roller he asked about in the OP. :)
Which, reading between the OP's lines, hasn't been defined... :) :P :D I suspect he's not a theatre type person, thus won't necessarily have the knowledge/experience of a rigger...Course - I may be wrong (apologies to the OP...!)
Apology accepted. I have worked in theatres and entertainment venues on the Island for over 15 years however have never had to try and bring a backdrop or gauze in and out in a low ceiling venue as we have full flying facilities in the Gaiety Theatre.And a rigger doesnt always mean you have all the answers and have used every type of kit available !!

I suspect he's not a theatre type person, thus won't necessarily have the knowledge/experience of a rigger...Course - I may be wrong (apologies to the OP...!)
Have a look at his signature and web site, then decide if he's "a theatre type person" :D
Hmmm... ™A little on the sketchy side in some ways, but I'll grant you that point. :P Though LX & FX isn't necessarily a qualifier for understanding rigging etc...
What do you mean by a little sketchy ??I could take that as an insult !!
How often do you work in hotel ballrooms?My guess will be never or close to... :) Most big hotels have suitable rigging points for almost anything. Whilst I acknowlage the op has specified none exsist, they are normally available. Many have unistrut type track blended into the decor for suspending. Most venue staff have very little idea its there.
Hi Dave.Seems to be the trend over here to have a conference in one of our many hotel function rooms. We are lucky that the building we do the majority of our conferences in is quite well suited and has various rigging points and also tie in points for DMX etc etc.We do at least one a month and generally they are all at Mount Murray which has the largest function room on the Island.Sorry for the late reply as I have been off the Island for a week.
Admittedly not a great deal, though I have done a handful of corporate gigs in the last couple of years - and as far as I'm aware I didn't see any suspension points...The last one was at Alton Towers hotel - anyone know what they have in their ceiling?BUT my point (partly) was the fact that a 20ft span is quite a long one for a roll-drop either way. You'd need a fair sized barrel to stop it sagging too much...But anyway - the OP hasn't bothered to come back and respond to the questions that need answering in over a week, so maybe the point's moot anyway...! :S
20ft is not an unusual length for a roller tumbler in fact most are longer than 20ft as ASG (Tumbler manufacturer) will atest.As stated in my other reply's I have been away for a week and not had chance or access to my computer hence the delay in replying to your comments.I may have found a tumbler that we can use since I started this subject and if so will report back.
Hi,Here's an idea we've used in venues with little or no overhead rigging capabilities. In our case it's been for backdrops therefore at the rear of the stage, in your case it will depend whether or not you require access for exit/entry across the gauze threshold and esthetics.Lay the gauze along its line on the floor and hide it behind a plywood? upstand, then two lines over ceiling (or truss on stands) mounted pullies used to lift top edge of gauze to ceiling.
Hi Wuddy.Thanks for your reply. We do require access across the front of the stage unfortunately.
could you just not biuld a set with a set of sliding doors made as a frame with gauze?We do a lot of corp jobs at hotels like metropole etc where the height to tiles is not that great and there are never the rigging points in the place that you need them - and clients always want this reveal look -so that what we just go for now.
We have already got a stage set built and dont want that sort of effect. We really do want to achieve a drop down gauze.

Archived