Show relay/ stage monitoring cameras

Hi there!

I'm currently looking at upgrading the cameras that feed our show relay monitors/tvs and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to suitable models, or could point me in the right direction with regards to features to look for?

I'm looking to get one black and white camera, preferably with integral IR transmitters- it needs to be good to a distance of about 30m, and one colour camera which will not bleach out when the rig goes to full or the followspots come on!

Price-wise I'm hoping to stay sub-£80 each, and they need to output on a single BNC connector.

Thanks,

Ian

No camera will cope with the contrast you could put on a stage -followspot alone style. However most security cameras with c or cs mount auto iris lens should cope with the contrast and light levels you would put on a stage. Most would open up enough to see during BO.

A word of warning

I was working at a theatre last year that had just installed a brand new, and very posh camera.

Great view of the stage and great contrast in blackout, however when the light level dropped low enough, you could see the camera suddenly change operating mode to a low light setting. Great for seeing what was happening on stage, terrible for judging when a slow fade to blackout was finished before sending stage crew on. DSM had to run from the desk into the wing to see the stage before letting anybody go on.

If you're installing a clever camera that will work in blackout, make sure you put in one that won't as well.

• 1 month later...
If you're installing a clever camera that will work in blackout, make sure you put in one that won't as well.

Good point when I was on the book for WWRY they had two cameras an infra red and a colour one and I noticed that I was using the infra red for the whole thing as it meant I could judge everything perfecty

Rowan

Archived