Maxxyz

sam.henderson

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the post!

My examples were from a school which had built a new entertainment complex (with the world's first single phase multi-hoist controller!!) I am no longer involved with the school, as they would not pay for my services! Light Jockey seemed to be bought because it looked good, as far as I am aware, a kid trashed the laptop, and it has never been looked at since. :angry:

The data pins on the entire Mac range are wired as per the DMX512 (1990) spec. e.g. pin1-Shield, pin2-cold(-), pin3-hot(+). So you should not need a "jumper" if you are using a DMX outputting console (a 5-3 pin convertor on the earlier Macs, maybe). Oh right, that probably had more to do with existing wiring then, my appologies!

Where the fixtures in the visualiser hung the same way round as they were in the venue? As for the Generics, its works for me. What fixture are you using? Right LJ version 2.0 Build 2, as to Fixture, it was the only one I could select. Here are two screen shots, the first shows the rig (the laptop only had a small screen which is why the lanterns are cramed together. The other the show designer, where the bottom left pair show the variation required to get the gobo into the blue beam. I don't think the tails were around the wrong way.

rig

show

As for the help file, LJ has a built in help file which is available in virtually every window that opens up. It is VERY comprehensive but as with any desk, the best way to get to grips with it is to play with it. We do offer training courses on Light Jockey, as with all our products, if you want more expert advice. Call Martin UK for more info. Thank you, I did get to grips with it fairly quickly, I guess the help file was corrupt then. I agree the best way to learn is to play.

Thank you again for your post, looking back at it, it seemed to be a dig at Martin, which it was not meant to be, once again, my appologies.

EDIT: After all that, I posted the reduced (wrong) rig, but most of it was the same for the opening!

I have been betatesting the Maxxyz over the last 7 months. I have done 25 one off concerts and events as well as a large musical with the console. It has never let me down and I am confident in it's capabilities now and in the future. The software is a work in progress, but the XP embedded platform makes this a fast proccess, and features are added on almost a weekly basis. The adoption of this platform allows for ease of networking, and adding USB peripherals- any future computer hardware and software developments will all be applicable to this machine. Personaly, I have never watched a DVD on the console as I'm usually quite busy putting a show together, however I have burned and loaded software and files with the drive and it is quite useful, as is a USB memory stick. The ability to listen to CD's on the desk while programming is pretty great- plus it makes the soundguys jealous. Flying faders and text labeling are all a part of making the console give the operator as much info as possible during the show- and are quite a help to me. There are other unique things, such as the fact that show files are backed up each time the clear or enter button is pressed- meaning that even if you do crash the desk, all you loose is the current programer contents. The integration of the visualizer gives you point and click focusing. USB Fader wings are right around the corner. The full commitment and power of Martin are behind this product, and that means that it is here to stay. As a Grand MA and Hog 2 user I can say that this console is competetive and unique in its philosophy. Cost wise it is on par with the other consoles of similar power and the cheapest 8 universe console on the market ( dunno the cost on the Avo D4...). Question is what will the future hold? To me the company, the OS, and the flexibilty of this platform will give it a long lifespan and make it a market leader in the foreseeable future.

I have been betatesting the Maxxyz over the last 7 months. I have done 25 one off concerts and events as well as a large musical with the console. It has never let me down and I am confident in it's capabilities now and in the future. The software is a work in progress, but the XP embedded platform makes this a fast proccess, and features are added on almost a weekly basis.  The adoption of this platform allows for ease of networking, and adding USB peripherals- any future computer hardware and software developments will all be applicable to this machine. Personaly, I have never watched a DVD on the console as I'm usually quite busy putting a show together, however I have burned and loaded software and files with the drive and it is quite useful, as is a USB memory stick.  The ability to listen to CD's on the desk while programming is pretty great- plus it makes the soundguys jealous. Flying faders and text labeling are all a part of making the console give the operator as much info as possible during the show- and are quite a help  to me. There are other unique things, such as the fact that show files are backed up each time the clear or enter button is pressed- meaning that even if you do crash the desk, all you loose is the current  programer  contents.  The integration of the visualizer gives you point and click focusing. USB Fader wings are right around the corner. The full commitment and power of Martin are behind this product, and that means that it is here to stay.  As a Grand MA and Hog 2 user I can say that this console is competetive and unique in its philosophy.  Cost wise it is on par with the other consoles of similar power and the cheapest 8 universe console on the market ( dunno the cost on the Avo D4...). Question is what will the future hold? To me the company, the OS, and the flexibilty of this platform will give it a long lifespan and make it a market leader in the foreseeable future.

Thanks for that info (and welcome to the Blue Room BTW).

Look like its got a good review, was there anything you found particulaly annoying whilst programming??

If given the chioce (and money wan't a factor) which would you go for, GrandMA, Hog II, Maxxyz??

Thanks for long post

Sam

If given the chioce (and money wan't a factor) which would you go for, GrandMA, Hog II, Maxxyz??

Or the Compulite Vector????

As the point was raised I feel justified in answering, the Compulite Vector also has 8 DMX universes on board, very similar architecture to the MAXXYZ in terms of dual processor, Win XP embedded and flying faders - and cheaper!!

Andy

Stagetec

Well depends on the event and time. Right now nothing beats the quick set up and automenus on the MA- as well as the huge amount of playback options. These features are important for a quck one off. I would take the Maxxyz in any situation over the hog 2- I like the playback style better and its faster to program ( except for desk channels which I gather is the next big feature push). I prefer the Maxxyz effects engine as it can create new and unique things pretty easily and is great for chases. When user profiles that store your presets and the playback wings are released ( very soon) I beleive the Maxxyz will be my choice.

Sorry Andy -Havn't set down at a compulite desk since the Ovation- and the Wizard before it- * shudder*. Sounds interesting!

Sorry Andy -Havn't set down at a compulite desk since the Ovation- and the Wizard before it- * shudder*. Sounds interesting!

Wizard?? I don't think that was a Compulite desk!

The Ovation was always a desk that you either loved or hated, but this is nothing to do with this discussion as the Vector is a completely different beast!

Anyway, if you or anyone else wants to take a look at the Vector let me know. We are arranging a number of demo days at various rental companies and some other venues over the next month so I will post it here as soon as they are arranged.

Andy Stone

Stagetec

• 2 weeks later...

Archived