Access Platforms and Licences

skywatcher

Hi All,

I have just purchased a Genie AWP25 powered access platform for the University where I am the TM.

For those of you who don't know these machines are have a powered platform but are not driveable, you have to get out and push to move them around.

My question is, I have been told that these days you need a license to use one. I worked for a local authority for 10 years with one of these machines and we certainly didn't need one then, has something changed or is the sales company trying to get even more cash out of me?

Also anyone know someone who wants an old talescope for free? Scrap only obviously!

Thanks in advance,

Rob

WOW, thats alot although it depends how many people your training and on which bits of equipment. It certainaly didn't cost me anywhere near that!

You best bet is to look in the training section of the IPAF website and call a couple of the training companies near where you are based and get them to quote you. As far as I am aware, the course costs are pretty standardised.

It depends how many people you want trained, It cost me £800 for a trainer to come to me for a day and I got 8 people trained.

the training consists of a half day teaching theory, this covers all types of platforms (scissor lift and drive round booms etc)and a lot of it is not relevant if you are just using a platform like you describe. then a half day of hands on using the platform.

Whilst it is not law that you must have a ipaf licence it is widley recognised as a way of proving you have recieved suitable training and as Dave said some insurance companies will insist on it.

with this in mind and also bearing in mind that a lot of the ipaf training on this type of platform is to do with checking the battery, setting the machine up , fitting the outriggers and how to use the emergency release. I am trying to persuade the insurers that the person in the tower could attend a much simpler in house training session ( dont press up when you are just under the roof, wear a hard hat, dont get out when its up , dont drop tools, dont lean out should cover it) as long as the tower is supervised by a ipaf licence holder

I would much prefer to have a fully trained supervisor who stays on the ground and a number of basic trained people who go up and down in rotation so they dont get tired

• 4 weeks later...
WOW, thats alot although it depends how many people your training and on which bits of equipment.  It certainaly didn't cost me anywhere near that!

You best bet is to look in the training section of the IPAF website and call a couple of the training companies near where you are based and get them to quote you.  As far as I am aware, the course costs are pretty standardised.

Not for a second suggesting you should not get some training, but I think that the machine referred to is not technically a MEWP.

IPAF is the powered access federation. Do they supply training for such machines?

Training is required to be considered, designed, provided and repeated as necessary by the employer/self employed because it part of a work activity (Management regs and HaSaWa) and uses work equipment (PUWER and LOLER).

It depends on your definition of MEWP: Does "mobile elevated work platform" mean it's mobile while it's elevated, or just mobile generally?

It's splitting hairs - in general, people do use MEWP to mean these genie platforms that don't move while your elevated. As Chris implies, I'm pretty sure you should have a licence to operate one - whether it's a named "legal" requirement or not.

IPAF don't do the training themselves, but they do certify the training and keep a good list of training providers. We use Access Platform Sales, in Huntingdon, but as I recall they don't have a proper website.

Bryson

(Currently running a Genie IWP20s, w/outreach & powered wheel assist)

IPAF is the powered access federation. Do they supply training for such machines?

I have an IPAF licence and one of the catagories I have on it is VPP, (ie what we are talking about. )

admitedly the trainer we had knew very little about them and learnt more than we did

• 2 weeks later...
The IPAF PAL is valid for 5 years. The reasoning behind this is that the H&S requirements/legislation are more than likely to change over this period and so its more of an update. If your log book shows you have a lot of experience, you only need to resit the theory part of the test.

Archived