Can this be done?

Floydey

Hi, I have been using some cheap moving heads with a Behringer LC2412 DMX lighting desk. They are set to the same DMX address with Channel 1 being Tilt, Channel 2 pan and Channels 3/4/5 Colour/Gobos etc on the lighting desk.

What I want to do is control the pan and tilt separately and the colours/gobos altogether.

My question is - would it be possible with the above combination to do this? For example - Channels 1/2 Tilt/Pan - Mover 1, Channels 3/4 Tilt/Pan - Mover 2 etc and then Channels 9, 10, 11 Colours/Gobos for all four movers.

I agree, Ben. Page 5 of the Owners Manual states 'to optimally use multifunction spotlights such as scanners and moving heads, you should use control consoles specifically desgned for this purpose'.

Reason being?

-1- Not enought channels

-2- A pain in the A@@@ plotting as very, very slow

-3- LTP rather than HTP

-4- Did I mention not enough channels

-5- You need to use faders rather than wheel to control pan/tilt hence not very accurate

-6- Editing a cue means you have to edit states after the edit to also to avoid strange things happening to other cues

I could go on but got bored................

For a small number of movers ( up to 12) you can't go wrong with a Fat frog!!

I think if Behringer themselves are dissuading a prospective purchaser from using the desk for movers, there is a pretty good reason, they're trying to sell their desks after all!

We looked into supplying these for mobile disco use (due to their apparent good value) but stopped short after I downloaded the manual to learn how to program one.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/e81169fdac88bd23dd7891e82c3f98a5.jpg

-5- You need to use faders rather than wheel to control pan/tilt hence not very accurate

This is up to the user I guess.

I'd rather have faders to control pan and tilt than wheels since I've used this technique for years and also I find it faster and easier to find the right position I need.

This is up to the user I guess.

I'd rather have faders to control pan and tilt than wheels since I've used this technique for years and also I find it faster and easier to find the right position I need.

You would need to used FADERS on the Berhinger.... as it HAS NO WHEELS ! Jonny DMX reply below is perfect.

My question is - would it be possible with the above combination to do this? For example - Channels 1/2 Tilt/Pan - Mover 1, Channels 3/4 Tilt/Pan - Mover 2 etc and then Channels 9, 10, 11 Colours/Gobos for all four movers.

No you can't.

I would suggest reversing the pan locally on one of the fixtures and running all the fixtures as mirrors of each other. The reason you can't is that the fixtures occupy a group of channels, for example fixture 1 will have DMX channels 1-9 fixture 2 will have channels 10-19 etc. It is not possible to re-assign the channel information within the fixture so unless they are addressed to the same address the fixtures will always need to be controlled separately.

A second alternative would be to control all the fixture channels separately then save all of the colour and gobo channels onto sub masters and control them as a group. Although I suspect that the desk will not have enough faders to do this.

Jonny

(Edit: On a different desk it would be possible to soft patch channels on the desk and so yes theoretically it would be possible to have your scenario, however all of the desks that I can think of that have this function can also control moving lights directly)

(Edit: On a different desk it would be possible to soft patch channels on the desk and so yes theoretically it would be possible to have your scenario, however all of the desks that I can think of that have this function can also control moving lights directly)

You *can* soft patch on the behringer, but I believe there's a limit of 3 outputs per channel. So in theory you could patch as described, however you could only have a maxiumum of 3 fixture's gobo/colour etc on one channel.

It's still an awful idea though! :)

I can only echo what others have said above, It can bve done - I managed to plot a pantomime with four moving mirror scanners, and two scrollers on a HTP desk.

However, programming took about three times as long as just running generics! And that was an easy to programme desk, not the pain in the a**e the Beringer is!

If it is your only option, then by all means go for it, but allow loads of time for programming!

Jim

++Edited to change "LTP" to "HTP" - A slight difference...

Archived