GreatBigHippy

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Ofcom today:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2009/02/nr_20090202

A better Digital Dividend for Britain

Ofcom today announced proposals to align more of the spectrum released as part of the UK's digital dividend with other European countries. This will allow new wireless services, particularly mobile broadband, to be launched here and across Europe

(snip)

The decision to release a digital dividend was taken by the Government in 2003, before Ofcom came into existence. The plan developed at that time involved releasing two distinct bands of spectrum, one of which comprised 48 MHz between 806-854 MHz.

It is now clear that a growing number of other European countries will release a digital dividend, but within a slightly wider block of spectrum than the UK's, at 790-862 MHz (the so-called 800 MHz band)

Finland, France, Sweden and Switzerland have already decided to release this wider block of spectrum of 72 MHz. We expect a number of other countries to do likewise.

(snip)

Maintaining digital terrestrial TV services and wireless microphones

These proposals would mean some changes to the spectrum used by digital terrestrial television (DTT) services and wireless microphones.

Ofcom's plans set out how these changes can be made without materially affecting the coverage or reception of DTT. However, some DTT viewers may need to re-tune their digital set-top boxes or integrated digital televisions. This is a simple procedure that usually takes a few minutes to complete and will already be necessary as a consequence of digital switchover.

Ofcom proposes to make alternative spectrum available UK-wide for wireless microphones, replacing the spectrum that will form part of the 800 MHz band.

Ofcom also proposes that funding should be made available so that the existing and planned users of this spectrum do not have to bear extra costs as a result of these changes. This funding could come from new licensees in the 800 MHz band, or the Government.

The full consultation:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/800mhz/

Closes 20th April.

Some interesting highlights:

The most likely outcome appears to be the loss of channel 69, with equivalent spectrum being made available on channel 38. This may bring long term benefits, as ch38 is also likely to be used for similar purposes in the US.

There only appear to be around 1700 (!) licensed users.

Approx 95% of new equipment sold and 50% of professional kit uses channel 69.

Ofcom are proposing a funding scheme for replacing obsolete equipment, but that would only apply to kit which was incapable of being retuned, and was purchased and licensed before today.

Timescales - proposals to be confirmed this year, Ch 38 to be made available within the year, CH69 to be cleared by 2012.

Does it appear then that the de-regulated frequencies (Or whatever you want to call them) - 863-865MHz is unaffected? From what I can see, the so-called 800MHz band only goes up as far as 862MHz. That said, guessing that this spectrum will probably go to some reasonably large scale communications companies, I guess there will be some reasonable size transmitters sat very near to the de-reg frequencies.

At least there is some further clarity and a more definite plan. Out of interest, where did the suggestion that the future frequencies would be within channel 38 come from? That would suggest frequencies between 606 and 614MHz.

So by the looks of it, we get one 8MHz channel to ourselves and two adjacent channels that are shared with DTT. Anyone care to speculate how we manage a show that needs 60+ channels of radio mics?

The one small blessing is that the hire companies won't be hit with the bill for retuning / replacing their stock.

I disagree Chappie.

I still won't believe it even if I do see it.

1700 Licenses? 1700??????????

What is that..... a 5th maybe? I wouldn't like to guess but it's a massive minority.

Message to all those working without a license : I hope your mics fail during your next show.

My guess is that if funding is available, then it's been set for the 1700 users who have a license. Anybody without one, won't get a cent! Sounds like the plan is to ensure that the people they know about won't get hurt, but as for the others .................?

Too late Josh - any financial support (and remember this is just a consultation) would only apply to people who had licenses BEFORE the proposal was issued. ie yesterday. :-)

And it wouldn't apply to radio kit bought after the proposal.

And it wouldn't apply to kit over 7 years old (they write it off over 10 years - so that kit will be EoL before the shutdown)

So my interpretation is that it would apply to existing licensed kit, which at the time will be between 3 and 7 years old, and therefore in relative terms worth peanuts...

funding should be made available so that the existing and planned users of this spectrum do not have to bear extra costs

I am fairly sure that those of you who think that this will equate to cash back/off new radio mics are as deluded as andrew lloyd webber thinking he can win eurovision....

Ofcom have proposed that funding should be available, however the government will spanner it up so much that it will end up being as some kind of 7% VAT rebate providing you have a form signed by the management of shure in triplicate, and only a 3 months window in which to use it...

I for one am very sceptical about the whole plan, if it was to be funded from the 800mhz licence fee, how much would the licences have to be to cover the costs of somebody like hand held audio or orbital.... Without the hundreds of smaller users out there who have 1-50 channels of radio mic....

P.

Will we be able to send them to a service centre and get them re-tuned?

I'm afraid it probably won't be that simple. Many higher-end radio units utilise different boards for different frequency bands, due to the differing track lengths and designs required to tune the circuits. In many cases, whole boards may need swapping out, which may or may not be financially viable, depending on the age and value of the unit.

Archived