Parsafe

chil6ep

Hi,

We have just aquired a number of parcans fitted with DTS Parsafes (which are double insulated / class 2). Does this make the can class 2 as well (ie. no need for any earth or earth bond between the nose and the shell)? or should the can still be earthed? Obviously we can't take the earth back out of the parsafe as that would be earthing class 2 equipment which is wrong (obviously) so in order to earth the can I would have to strip back the cable as tails, screw the earth to the can and heatshrink the L/N cores until they reached back into the Parsafe. Do we think this could be the right way of going about it?

All answers much apreciated and apologies for any topic overlap, I just couldn't see a straight answer elsewhere.

Ok I'm not a qualified sparky, but.. In my experience, cans with par safes will still have the earth bond between the can and the shell. Even if its surplus to requirements (electrically), I've found its usually left as a way to ensure the shells not completely removable from the entire can assembly.. A sort of safety if you will.

Most times the earth core of the flex coming into the can will be connected to the same little bolt that the earth bond between the shell & nose will be.

Again, I'm not a sparky (trained/qualified anyway), just going on past experience.

HTH

Tom

As the exclusive distributor for DTS products in the UK AC Lighting only offers the DTS Par wiring kits in the 3 wire version.

This is because AC Lighting believe it is safer to ensure that all of the metalwork is earthed in the event of a lamp or cable fault that might cause the metalwork to come into contact with a live conductor, exposed lamp filament or similar.

If you need any further information about DTS products please contact us off forum

If you need any further information about DTS products please contact us off forum

Given theu ruck this issue drags up with regular monotony, a formal statement on-forum would be just the thing to stop this endless debate...

We have just aquired a number of parcans fitted with DTS Parsafes (which are double insulated / class 2). Does this make the can class 2 as well...

The can is only Class 2 if it is marked as such by the manufacturer.

Archived