Jump to content


Recommended Posts

first timer here, just in case I am repeating something !


I am currently the resident technician at an arts college, I also teach technical theatre (GCSE and A-level) as well as prodution and business and have been working in the theatre industry since graduating from uni in theatre design and technology in 2003 (various venues as technician and lighting designer)


I am currently looking for courses that would help develop my career in theatre and/or eduation.


it seems that city and guilds are something that is being asked for more frequently, but many ask for different types of city and guilds, and I'm sure that most people are aware of the training offered by the abtt.


So what is best ? what qualification(s) is best to aim for ?


What have people found most beneficial, or that employers ask for ?


Are you somone who knows what you would look / ask for in a new employee ?


please post, this would help me make the right decision !!





Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm in a very similar post to yourself. Also looking at trainning. I have agreed with my school to start on the ABTT route and see how it goes.

From my research it seemed most relevant to my job, however I do little real teaching and I am not looking to further a career purely in teaching.

I think you need to look at all the options you have open to you and consider where you would like to be in say 5 or 10 years time.

Hope this helps. I would be interested to know how you get on, whichever route you take.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


If you wish to go down the teaching route and are already teaching at FE level,I would have thought you would already have or be studying C&G 7303/4/5 which are the Prep/Cert/Diploma in teaching for "Lifelong Learning" (see C&G website).

If not your employer should really put you in for the course.


If, however, it is mainstream under 16 teaching then I believe you need to go down the one-year PGCE route (post-graduate certificate in education) which, again, you should talk to the school about. Don't forget that there are golden hellos available for teacher training, in some cases, and the school can get up to £14,000 for training you in the graduate teacher programme, an on-the-job training. ( http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/thetrainingp...course/gtp.aspx )


I would hazard a guess that your existing degree should be a good enough start to a career outside teaching and any further qualifications depend totally on what sector/job you end up working in. There are so many and varied qualifications from the National Rigging Certificate through multitudinous electrical certificates to the dread NEBOSH that your specific wishes dictate any advice. What do you want to do? If you wish to work in theatre check out any free training available from manufacturers, if nothing else you will expand your networks and meet others with differing experiences who can advise you.

Whatever you choose, keep learning and good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.