Third party liability insurance

nag1_uk

By third party do you mean Public Liability...ie insuring against injuring or damaging a person or property? If that's the case then it's usually a monetary value eg 1 million, ten million etc (you call the shots when buying the insurance). Although the insurer will need to know in what capacity you are working, they dont usually need to know anything about the equipment you're insuring against causing the risk, unless it's particularly dangerous eg Gas Bottles, Welding torches, scaffolding, ladders etc etc. For example, our Public Liability Insurance (PLI) simply states that we're Electronics Service Engineers (with their definition of that) and that we're insured to work at no more than a certain height above ground and other endorsements such as electrical substation work and other non-applicable endorsements.

After all a £10,000 lighting desk will probably work all its life without injuring anybody whereas a £4 hammer may kill someone if you drop it off the scaff. Discuss it with your broker!!

Hi,

I have been looking into Third party liability insurance and found that from the website below it is about the same price to insure £5K of gear with Third party liability insurance as to just get Third party liability insurance! Is it me or is that a little strange?

http://www.musicguard.co.uk/

Cheers

HI I looked at insurance with them, the quote seemed ok for sound equipment.

Just check wether you need to cover theft from a van and such.

You will need Liability insurance!!!

Mine came in at about 600.00 for 14k

cheers

Bob

Be careful not to overlook the fact the policy is meaningless if you have an accident that doesn't involve the use of "music equipment or photography equipment", probably not as useful for lighting technicians as it might suggest.

Be careful not to overlook the fact the policy is meaningless if you have an accident that doesn't involve the use of "music equipment or photography equipment", probably not as useful for lighting technicians as it might suggest.

In my policy with them, the phrase they use is "....which arises from Your use of or ownership of musical, entertainment, sound

or lighting equipment". That seems to me to cover just about anything I'm liable (sic) to be doing in theatre, gigs, conferences etc.

When one of our freelancers contacted them they claimed not to offer anything that didn't cover the use of "music equipment or photography equipment" with music equipment including video jockey type stuff but not lighting so she went elsewhere. Have you had your policy a while? Maybe they are still honoring an old contract/working?

There was also an issue with leads and cables. Some of the companies that insure DJ and like equipment do not insure the cables, only the equipment, so the equipment is PLI covered but not the cable! So if someone trips on a cable you are on your own!

Have you had your policy a while? Maybe they are still honoring an old contract/working?

I have had it for a while, but you can download their current policy wording from their website - it's quite clear in there.

Some of the companies that insure DJ and like equipment do not insure the cables, only the equipment, so the equipment is PLI covered but not the cable!

I suspect there may be some crossed wires here (still no pun intended!). They didn't used to insure cables, so if they were stolen or whatever, you would be on your own. I don't think this has anything to do with PLI - that would be like car insurance saying you couldn't put petrol in your car! PLI covers the person / their actions, not the equipment that they use.

Archived