Samson S-Combine

Mr.Si

Hi all, me again.

Slightly odd one here. Wanting to bounce my idea around with some people who've probably had more experience with this one.

I have a situation where I have an amp which is only working in mono, (so input A works and will send audio to both A & B's outputs) controlling the subs in a system. The crossover in use is a dbx 223XL and in stereo mode, so 2 inputs and 2 outputs.

I need to get both of the crossover's Low Freqency output signals into this single amp input so that the main faders will both have an effect on the sub output.

I COULD wire it so that just one of the main faders (such as Left) will control the subs and also the Left mid/high, and the right main fader control just the right mid/high. But that would be odd and well, yes odd.

Obviously there's always the option of getting channel B's input working again and using the amp in stereo, (which will happen eventually) but this will take some time and I need a fix in the meantime.

So, I have been looking at XLR combiner units, rather than making up a cheap Y lead as I understand that there could be phase cancellation issues with cables of slightly dissimilar length. Would people be of the opinion (or even better a firm knowledge) that this unit (the Samson S-Combine) would work well and do what I need?

It is marketted as a combiner and thus has 2 XLR panel sockets and 1 XLR panel plug on it. But it doesn't have phase correction and is a passive circuitry (yet uses a power lead too). Should I need to worry about this? as the subs will be one at each end of a 30ish mtr long hall.

Would a simple Y combiner lead be absolutely fine? (I'll keep cable lengths as short and similar to each other as possible).

Would a bettererer unit (read: more expensive) such as THIS be needed instead of the SAMSON?

I would very much appreciate everyone's view-point / experience in this matter.

I await responses with baited breath!

Blessings, Si :rolleyes:

You really don't need to worry about phase shift down cable. The signal travels at around 200m per microsecond so 50m of cable is only a couple of degrees at 20kHz.

The units you've shown usually have a transformer in them and yes, they are the way to go.

Archived