Channel Faders with no effect

Mr.Si

Hi all,

I have a lovely GL2800-824 (24 channel) which I love. It's also in a F.C.W. standard coffin type flightcase.

On a couple (maybe more) channels, the faders seem to have little or no effect on the output level of the instrument or mic plugged into it. So in these cases, I just have to set the level and control the output with the gain and a group. Not ideal!

One of my channels, I have just found out, isn't even sending to the groups or L&R any more. hmmm.

From what I've read on here in past A&H topics, it seems to me like it's a ribbon cable issue. Does this sound about right?

Unfortunately I don't think it's under warranty anymore, plus it was bought ex-demo, otherwise I'd send it to A&H for a service.

So I was wondering how easy it was to <brave hat> open up and take a look and possibly fix it myself </brave hat>.

I was wondering if anyone on here'd be able to say "oh I've had similar issues"

I'm sure resident Carey D will be along soon to give his help and I'll probably give the team at A&H a phone in the week to come if necessary, but while it's the weekend, I thought I'd ask on here.

Blessings, Si :)

When I had a PSU issue with my GL2000 a year or two ago, which was far further out of warranty that your GL2800, A&H's folks were really helpful by email, so I wouldn't worry about the age of the desk.

No signal at all sounds like a ribbon cable issue; lack of fader action doesn't so much. They're easy desks to open up and the layout inside is very neat and open. If you pop the back off, you'll see the ribbon cable daisy chaining along all the channel PCBs - just disconnecting & reconnecting it from each channel may help.

Oh I've had similar issues. :o

This was a mix wiz, but I had the same thing with the fader seeming to be on full up all the time. Now, I've not really worked out why, but the problem seems to come from bad contacts in the insert jack. So a little switch cleaner in the back, and pull a jack in & out a few times seems to do the trick.

As Shez has said, the other problem does sound like a ribbon cable issue. Do contact A&H, they have always been very helpful.

:)

The lack of level control points to a fault in the actual slide fader potentiometer - or the 0 volt (earth) absent on the fader. A quick test with a multirange meter across the fader and wiring will quickly show the problem. Compare with a known good one - probably the next channel!

Don't forget that A&H technical support from the Factory is unequalled - and the Service Centre network across the UK will be able to help. See their Web site for more details - but I will declare that I am proud to be one of the Service Centres.

No signal at all could be any one of a number of things - but can you not inject a signal into the channel via the mic input , the line (jack) input OR the insert jack socket (return on the ring of the jack)?

John G

The lack of level control points to a fault in the actual slide fader potentiometer - or the 0 volt (earth) absent on the fader. A quick test with a multirange meter across the fader and wiring will quickly show the problem. Compare with a known good one - probably the next channel!

^^ What he said.

I have had to flow solder over the ground connections of 2 mixwiz's and 2 GL2200s and this fixed it straight away.

If it's out of warranty, and you think it's a channel strip problem, then just remove the individual channel (s) and send them off for repair.

If you think it's the cabling, then take a look inside. The GL2800 is well laid out inside, so a lot of problems are easily spotted.

A&H are the best people to talk to. :)

I opened it this afternoon after church and it seems the earth connections (if they're the green wire) look fine.

You need to check the signal earth on the fader or channel strip itself - depending upon the design this may or may not be the same as the mains earth. I would guess that there is a dry joint somewhere around the signal earth end of the fader.

Cheers

James.

Archived