Further Education in Technical Theatre

I was wondering if anybody knew of good colleges/universities for over 18 education in lighting, Sound, Stage Management etc. its best if they are in the UK and give a degree at the end. I have already read the theard on guild hall... does anybody know of any others...

Thanks

Dan

The RSAMD in Glasgow does a BA in technical and Production Arts. I just graduated from there in July. A really good course and covers all aspects oftechnical theatre production. Just search for RSAMD in any search engine.

Forgot The Bristol Old Vic Theatre School...

Carol Smith is the lady you want to get in touch with if you are interested in coming for an interview.

The contact details are on the school's website: http://www.oldvic.ac.uk/

BTW I'm a student there at the moment doing the technical theatre course (the course title is Stage Management, which is slightly confusing as you can get away with avoiding doing any SMgt if you want to).

Also a new book that may be of some help performing arts technical training handbook 2007/2008

I found the book disappointing - the sources detailed above are the horses mouth sources - this was no doubt accurate when written, but has ommisions and some vapour programmes - as in they never got off the ground, but the centres hoped they'd run. I'm not sure the book is really that useful as unless you buy a new one each year, it's kind of disposable. I rather hoped it would have more real content and advice

Also a new book that may be of some help performing arts technical training handbook 2007/2008

I found the book disappointing - the sources detailed above are the horses mouth sources - this was no doubt accurate when written, but has ommisions and some vapour programmes - as in they never got off the ground, but the centres hoped they'd run. I'm not sure the book is really that useful as unless you buy a new one each year, it's kind of disposable. I rather hoped it would have more real content and advice

can't comment on the nature or quality of the contents, as I haven't seen it, but surely the disposable nature is desirable - after all, as an applicant you only need the information current for the year in which you're applying for college.

Guest lightnix

Perhaps not as "on the map" as some of the above, but IIRC North West Kent College seem to be turning out some good people at the moment; or at least some people who seem to have less trouble finding a job and holding it down.

Click here and here for lists of relevant performance / media-related courses.

No, they aren't degree courses; but if "all" you are after is some letters after your name, then you might as well get some in a subject that's able to make you a decent living and study showbiz on the side :wall:

But just because you've been to a "name" college and got a nice, shiny degree, doesn't automatically mean that you'll get work or (dare I say) actually be any good. There's one, above-mentioned college, the appearance of whose name on a CV would send it flying straight into the bin; they're great at teaching people what the equipment does, but not so hot at teaching them how to do the job :unsure:

That said, you could do worse than check out the courses at the Central School of Speech & Drama, especially if you're into lighting.

It would kind of help, if you told us more about what your career interests in entertainments are - they sound a bit unfocussed ATM.

Archived