Modern equivalent of Celestion SR1?

rabywebb

I've been looking for a small, high-powered PA kit that will produce a decent sound and had finally decided that a pair of Celestion SR1s with controller would be ideal, the only issue being that nowhere appears to have any new stock (I realise they were discontinued about two years ago).

My question is whether there's any speakers currently being produced that are physically small units (easy to be lugged about) with a decent power output that still sound nice.

Just to fill in the picture, we've got a Crown XLS 402 amp and the system will be used as a general purpose semi-portable set for background music, screenings of football matches (audience approx 100) and also for use as DJ monitors. Budget approx £500-£600 for a pair.

Thanks for any help you can give

What is special about the SRs is they had no horns, just a single, capable full range driver, which is why they sound so natural on vocals. All the modern boxes of which I am aware are two way arrangements, and thus sound nothing like an SR.

Watching this thread the in hope I'm being outstandingly pessimistic and there is a usable replacement...

Dont they still do the Bose 802 mark seven or something?

I don't think you'd get them for £600 per pair. (The OP's budget)

Bose appear to have shot themselves in the foot somewhat a few years ago by bringing in very stringent requirements for dealers, such as minimum stock levels, a dedicated listening room etc. I know of a good few companies that stopped dealing Bose because of that, and their products seem to be much thinner on the ground these days.

You might like to take a look at the SR Technology Club 150 series. I know they aren't single driver, and they are active, not passive. But they are small, and high quality, and versatile. And if you need, they have an add-on sub too. SR Technology

I've been looking for a small, high-powered PA kit that will produce a decent sound and had finally decided that a pair of Celestion SR1s with controller would be ideal, the only issue being that nowhere appears to have any new stock (I realise they were discontinued about two years ago).

My question is whether there's any speakers currently being produced that are physically small units (easy to be lugged about) with a decent power output that still sound nice.

Just to fill in the picture, we've got a Crown XLS 402 amp and the system will be used as a general purpose semi-portable set for background music, screenings of football matches (audience approx 100) and also for use as DJ monitors. Budget approx £500-£600 for a pair.

Thanks for any help you can give

Archived