Alternatives to pyro flash

Johnno

Other than by pyro is there any way of getting a decent flash? I'm asking 'cos there's one called for in our school's next production (Cinderella) when the Fairy Godmother leaves the stage. The Drama Queen has asked for pyro but in the interests of H&S (and my education) I think I should explore alternatives- if there are any.

At the time of the flash there will only be a couple of children on stage and if I do end up using pyro I'm thinking of doing it on the apron as I don't want fireworks near them.

I'm planning on doing something very similar using distraction; a small strobe on the wrong side of the stage, which everyone will look at, and by the time the larger strobe on the side cinders was on fires, cinders isn't there any more. All over in less than 2 seconds.

I've seen something done with small strobes in a batten arrangement (I can't think of the name for them).

A row of strobes up the left hand side of the Pros. arch and across to the centre top and similar up the RH side. At the centre top of the Pros. arch a blinder or large strobe.

When distraction was required, either SL or SR, the strobes did just one chase from bottom to top centre and then the blinder did just one falsh, this happened simeltaneously with a very short B.O., your eyes automatically followed the lights and distraction was acheived.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived