realtime frequency analyzer

mattchance

So, I'm interested in learning more about the frequencies I'm cutting and boosting with Graphic EQs.

It's my understanding that frequency analyzers are quite handy to have around and that I can find some 1U units to put alongside my existing outboard but is it possible to do the same thing with a calibrated microphone and say a program like Adobe Audition?

Would this perform the same function?

Thanks in advance! ;)

You can use an editor with spectrum display, but the real snag is that even with a proper measurement mic, the frequency response of your laptop's input and the noise components generated in the machine make a real mess of the audio. If you have a digital input and something with a pre-amp and digital output the it is much better - and to some degree you can compensate for small errors. I was short of a graphic a few months ago and bought a Behringer which I didn't realise also had a spectrum display - this seems to work quite nicely and shows where the energy is - very often not where I thought it was.

Thanks for that, with my outboard I have a M-Audio FW1814 firewire device so thats a fairly good interface for the laptop...I suppose my main concern was do I invest a bit of cash in a rackmounted frequency analyzer or do with my audition software?

Also does anyone have any pointers on actually using the analyzer? I assume major peaks should be cut using the graphics?

ta

Also does anyone have any pointers on actually using the analyzer? I assume major peaks should be cut using the graphics?

Not necessarily... Real time analysers are "time blind" and although they can be useful, they can also be misleading. We've had some lengthy discussions about this here - you may find them useful to look through.

Right, a bunch of things:

First, if you just want a basic RTA to have a go with, have a look at THIS on the Allen and Heath site. It's far from a full-spec analyser like SMAART but it's also free for the first 14 days and only a tenner to register if you like it.

Second, your M-Audio card should be dandy in this application...I've run SMAART on an M-Audio Mobile Pre for some years with good results.

Third, if you want to get into this, the Behringer ECM8000 measurement mic ( HERE ) isn't half bad, especially when you consider you can get them for about £40. Not a B&K but essentially flat.

Fourth...another Audition user here and for quite detailed measurements of snapshots (as opposed to real time) it's excellent and very versatile. If you have specific queries, I can try to help or I can give you the address of the Audiomasters forum which is full of Audition boffins.

Finally, just a word of agreement with those who say to "use your ears". An RTA is a useful tool and a good way to learn about frequencies and EQ...but still can't tell you what sounds good!

Bob

Archived