How Big is Your Podger?

Jabba

Hi I am a student with a budget (suprise!), I'm looking to expand my toolkit, having used a podger several times now I feel they would be a great addition.

My problem is I don't know what size to buy, I am a lampy by trade but some of the work I do is based around constructing truss,steel deck and scaff structures.

My instinct is telling me 19/21mm for steel deck and scaffolding, as the truss I put together does not use bolts it uses split pins? Can anyone suggest an appropriate size to meet my requirements? Will a 19/21mm spike still go in truss to allign it or will it be too big?

I am also looking at getting a chalk bag to carry round general tools such as screwdrivers,tape, sharpies and AJ's can anyone reccomend some please?

I have done a search on the forum but could not find anything related.

Thanks,

Jabba

Hey ho!

I don't have mine infront of me but I am sure it is a 17-19 and this does most jobs I need, I also keep a scaff key for anything larger (Herras fencing and Scaff) and as far as I know there is aery little difference in spike saiz

17/19 is the way to go for size. And if you do a lot of scaffing then you can't beat a proper scaffolders key/spanner. If you are on a budget, then I would keep it simple and remember that you may well "lose" tools so best not to lash out on too much Snap-On quality stuff.

In the past I have had many different tool tryouts and have had ratchets, ratchet ring spanners, combination spanners and podgers. They are all good for different things and I got fed up with taking them all around and always having to return to my toolbox to get something else. I am back to the good ol' all purpose adjustable spanner for general lampie -ing.

Although chalk bags are part of the "lampie look" I find that there are better ways to keep your tools with you. I only really use any kind of pouch when the venue is so big that you have to keep everything with you. There are some really good pouches (that I think are for walking or something) that are deep, got a few compartments and close properly. Some also come with a detachable shoulder strap which are good to stop your tools from pulling on your trousers all the time. You can do a similar thing with a chalk bag, krab and a sling.

If you get a chalk bag, make sure it is one of the deep ones that close, rather than a piddley little climber's pouch. Anything that tools can fall out of is a pain as well as a safety hazard.

Cheers Guys I already have a quad spanner which makes life easier, an looks like I'm heading the 17/19mm way, an is true about losing tools! but I engrave them so if some kind person were happen to find it!

I will have to look into a scaff key?

And as for the bags, I agree they can be a pain but I am fed up of going back to tool box to get a screwdriver, as I keep Quad etc on my carritool an puch for leatherman an maglite, but I want something as a general bag that as you said it needs to close etc

Thanks for all the feedback!

Archived