Live Sound Training

Hi Everyone, Im 19 finished college last year and completed a National diploma in Music Tech. Now a year on I have looked at Uni courses in Live sound but cant find anything.Now I am looking at Training courses around the London and SE areas. I have seen a couple including LAE London who do a 4 week training course at Scala, London. Also there is the SFL seminars in Reading. Does anyone know of these courses? Or What are they like? Or does someone have any other ideas for getting into live sound, are there any good hire companies that would employ? Or do I need training first?thanks
Hi Everyone, Im 19 finished college last year and completed a National diploma in Music Tech. Now a year on I have looked at Uni courses in Live sound but cant find anything.Now I am looking at Training courses around the London and SE areas. I have seen a couple including LAE London who do a 4 week training course at Scala, London. Also there is the SFL seminars in Reading. Does anyone know of these courses? Or What are they like? Or does someone have any other ideas for getting into live sound, are there any good hire companies that would employ? Or do I need training first?thanks
<p>Also does anyone know of Base Sound based in Stroud, they do a weekend live sound training course?

Hi,

With regards SFL, I went on one of their, well two of their 'seminars' at PLASA'06 which were rather informative so I'd recommend doing some stuff with them on the training side. Whilst on the SFL course one of the trainers, Jamie was on about running a 5 day course that covered quite a bit of stuff at their warehouse. This was still in the design stage back then so I don't know what's happening it now. Could anyone let me know what's happening with this?

Stroud, Base Sound? Not heard of them but on the training side again, there is the lovely people at D&B Audio based there. My friends and I went on one of their one dayers, amazing food, good laugh, very informative and such a lovely town. Anyone whose been there will know EXACTLY what I'm on about.

Dom

If you're still interested in degree courses, then, although I don't know that much about it, but have been to a few open days here. IIRC, this course includes a reasonable amount of live sound, and a top up year will allow you to concentrate on whatever interests you.

Quite a few of our students go on to there when they finish here, and most of the reports we hear back are good.

Mark Payne runs some excellent courses, as do d&B at their headquarters. Also, I believe Soundcraft still run their "Going Live" events.

If you are still looking for Uni courses, then I run the BSc in Sound, Light & Live Event Technology - a three year Engineering degree at Derby University. There is a course run on similar lines at Glamorgan.

PM me if you need further details.

Simon

As another option, Central School of Speech and Drama have a dedicated sound option as part of their BA (hons) Theatre Practice course:

http://www.cssd.ac.uk/undergrad.php/22/theatre_sound.html

d&b fairly regularly run their one day course there so not only will you get to take part but you'll also get to help out on the set-up beforehand.

There is also the Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts:

http://www.lipa.ac.uk/standard/index.htm

which run several courses related to live sound.

I'm presuming though that the OP is seeking short courses rather than degree programmes - I think to the list already given, I'd only add Orbital Sound (it's their trainer who teaches the ABTT one day courses)

Archived