DMX Add On

Nicktaylor

Can someone out there point me to a cheap way of modifying a couple of Green Ginger packs I bought along with some light curtains. Basicly the curtains work in pairs, each made up of nine 12v lamps. Of course the current is pretty high and therefore the Green Ginger 5k packs. Is there acheap DMX card I can install?

Be Carefull.

The card that you can use for this are the Betapack Mk1 DMX cards. Stock number 0054900 these list at £165.

The one Paul has mentioned are for the Betapack 2. Stock code 0030900 these list at £108. These are more of a pain to use as they require both 5v and 15v supply rail where the Mk1 only needs a 20v supply.

Hi Nick,

If your Green Ginger dimmers are the two channel 5Kw micropacks, there are at least a couple of 2 channel DMX to analogue converters (demuxes) available.

MA Lighting do a 2 channel PCB, part number 130407, list price £65.39 + VAT.

Multiform do a 2 channel unit in a box, part number DMX 202, list price £80.00+VAT. You never know, if you ring them up and ask nicely, they might sell you just the PCB.

Both these should run off the desk power supply output of your packs.

Let me know if you need more information.

If this sort of thing isn't what you are looking for, could you let us know how many channels of demux you need.

As a general point on demuxes, the (relatively) new Strand S72 demux gives 72 channels of demux, switchable for positive or negative outputs, and has a list price of just £295+VAT. It looks like an absolute bargain. Has anyone used one? Does it do what it says on the box?

As a general point on demuxes, the (relatively) new Strand S72 demux gives 72 channels of demux, switchable for positive or negative outputs, and has a list price of just £295+VAT. It looks like an absolute bargain. Has anyone used one? Does it do what it says on the box?

I had one on loan from Strand to accompany a demo 300 Series... what can I say? - DMX went in, and analogue came out. Job done.

Further observations:

- it seems to have a very low output impedance; I was driving Mk I Betapaks with it, and when the demux was connected (but not necessarily powered) the built-in channel test switch on the Betapak didn't work; disconnecting the demux made it work again.

- the dimmer curve seemed a little strange (hard to get anything out below 30%), but that could be our dimmers, and it may be adjustable - didn't get the chance to play with this one.

- the LED address display doesn't half go funny when you set the output to -VE and plug it into +VE Betapaks ;)

Tom

Archived