Cold silverstar type effect

Neil Hampson

I've had a brief look around and nothing has come up; I've been asked to LD for the G&S 'The Sorcerer', several scenes involve the casting of a 'spell into a cauldren on stage, and flash to them come up from it, I've found a photo on Google from and old G&S society website, and the effect looks to be exactly as I want, but my instincts are telling me it's just not a good idea...

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/neilhampson/ClosePyro.jpg

Does anyone know of a small silverstar type pyro that could be used in such close proximity? I can see from the picture that this is a tiny effect compared to the standard LeMaitre pods, but I don't have much experiance in Pyro outside of the plug and play of the LeMaitre range.

my only other plan is to use a standard silver star, and get the scenes re-blocked so that the actor throws the ingredeants into the pot rather than standing close. Are there any Doing this would also mean that the pryo is partially enclosed by the cauldren, would this really caus much of a problem?

Moderation: quote and duplicated image removed

The effect you need is called an Ice Fountain, this is a relatively cold effect often used on wedding cakes etc, these can be hand-held also. You can buy manual or electrically fired versions from Le Maitre or Sky High

An ice fountain is not what the OP is looking for! They're great for what they're designed for, but they are not an instananeous effect. Unfortunately, "cold" is not possible with the effect you're looking for. In particular, I don't think you're going to get away with the distances involved in that photo in amdram these days!

The OP's best bet is to call up some of the manufacturers (I'd recommend Wells stuff, but I'm incredibly biased) and ask them specifically about mini-flashes. Take their advice on initial safety distances, and then once you have done the tests make your determination based around your risk assessment. Personally I'd have thought that the couldron is big enough to have no containment issues, and indeed will help ensure everything goes in the right direction.

If the mini-flashes are still too big or otherwise inappropriate, then take a look at crumpled flash paper or flash cotton sprinkled with "spark dust", available from the usual suspects or your local magic shop.

If still no good, then think about compressed gas projecting fine glitter through a lighting special...?

EDIT: Spelling

If the mini-flashes are still too big or otherwise inappropriate, then take a look at crumpled flash paper or flash cotton sprinkled with "spark dust", available from the usual suspects or your local magic shop.

I've never tried these but I believe HFM Pyrotechnics sell them and I have seen video clips of them used. Have a look at handheld flash guns. Might be what your looking for.

The containment issue is addressed by comparing the spherical angla of free space that the pyro can see. in a standars flash pod from leMaitre the charge is about 1/2 inch below a 2 inch container lip. so arranged 2 inches below an 8 inch dia openong should be similar.

The device must either be a specially made and tested small charge effect, or a pyro igniter (leMaitre et al) igniting flash cotton or paper, (again pyro or magic or joke shops).

Getting a suitable control system and a perfectly repeatable loading method are vital.

Archived