SFX and External Firewire Interfaces

scottmcleod

I'm looking at purchasing an external firewire interface for use with our Mackie TT24 console and 8x8 Symnet Distribution to get a lot MORE control over how sound effects work in the Theatre.

My options:

M-Audio Firewire 410 (4x10) - 300$USD

Edirol FA101 (or UA101) (10x10) - 380$USD

Alesis IO26 - 400$USD

M-Audio 1814 (18x14) - 450$USD

MoTU Ultralite (8x8) - 500$USD

Echo AudioFire8 (8x8) - 500$USD

PreSonus FP1010 (10x10) - 500$USD

Echo AudioFire12 (12x12) - 580$USD

MoTU 828mkII (8x8) - 700$USD

PreSonus FireStudio (12x10?) - 700$USD

MoTU Traveller (10x10?) - 750$USD

I can't decide! Obviously SFX is recommending the Echo series... but none of the above are in their list of "DO NOT USE UNDER ANY CONDITIONS UNLESSS YOU ENJOY RIPPING YOUR HAIR OUT" interfaces. Most of these are even on the "well supported" list.

Thoughts?

Does anyone else use a different set-up for "theatre cues" for sound shows?

Stratford Festival uses an Echo Layla3 PCI (12x12) unit and the "pro" version of SFX.We'll be purchasing the "standard" version so 4 stereo outputs max (8 mono), so anything over 8x8 is icing...Help?

-Scott McLeod ;)

TD, Powell Hall

This is what I'm afraid of:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...eWire+1814/10/1

(especially bad reviews)

http://www.zzounds.com/productreview--MDOFW1814

(only a few bad reviews)

Reliability is important, and I'll pay a bit more for it, but I hear a lot of interfaces in general have stability issues...

I'm afraid I don't have any answers to the query, but rather than making another thread about my own question, the two seem very closely related so I thought I'd stick my own in here, and subject to the answer I will be looking at one of the above units also. Mods if it's an issue I'm happy to have it moved.

I spent about a year thinking my laptop didn't have firewire fitted, then found what I thought was purely a camera socket on the front. It's labelled 1394 and I believe it's a 4-wire firewire socket.

Question is, is it exactly the same as any other firewire (6 wire) socket and will the above interfaces work through it as they would with a 6 wire? Clearly I would need a different lead if they did, do these come bundled with the interfaces to allow a choice or is it a one-off purchase that I need?

Many thanks

SFX is different to just about every other playback product out there, in that it has a layer of software others do not, allowing you to pan audio between arbitrary outputs, whereas everyone else you can only output audio to one stereo pair and pan it betwixt. This extra clever stuff is a real source of compatibility problems, which is why (in my opinion, of course) SFX is so fussy and fragile about audio cards.

For this reason, and this reason only, I generally recommend people who have bought into the SFX way to follow Stage Researche's recommendations on audio output devices. Thats not to say that other devices wont work, just if it does break you get to keep all the pieces...

I'm afraid I don't have any answers to the query, but rather than making another thread about my own question, the two seem very closely related so I thought I'd stick my own in here, and subject to the answer I will be looking at one of the above units also. Mods if it's an issue I'm happy to have it moved.

I spent about a year thinking my laptop didn't have firewire fitted, then found what I thought was purely a camera socket on the front. It's labelled 1394 and I believe it's a 4-wire firewire socket.

Question is, is it exactly the same as any other firewire (6 wire) socket and will the above interfaces work through it as they would with a 6 wire? Clearly I would need a different lead if they did, do these come bundled with the interfaces to allow a choice or is it a one-off purchase that I need?

Many thanks

You need a 4-pin to 6-pin firewire cable. Also, note that you'll have to use the included (or not included) power brick that goes with whatever interface you're getting.

Welcome to my thread. Bring people here and help get my question answered, because I want to order my unit soon. (and I'd rather it wasn't a MoTU (price, being the issue), but if that's where the quality is, I guess that's the solution.

Archived