Lost in the world of Radio Mics

ace

Hi Guys,

For a question and answer session next week I need to buy a handheld radio mic and also a lapel radio mic. I am ideally looking to purchase ex hire or reasonably cheap, but there are so many different models out there that I don't know what will be reasonable for the lower end of the price range. I already have one of these - http://www.soundsavers.com/catalog/product...products_id=897 and have been reasonably happy with it for audience members asking questions but can anyone advise me on where to look or what to look for?

Many thanks

Chris

For a short duration ie 1 day, Q&A session I would look at hiring and then if you want to purchase later you can save up and get good ones!!

The problem is it is a series of one day Q+A events, rather than just one hence why I am keen to buy something rather than Hire. Also I am not anticipating more that 2 or 3 questions to actually get asked, so the sound quality is not desperately important if that makes sense. I suspect that the lapel mic would need to be of better quality as it will be used for a longer talk.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Chris

A quick look at CPC brought up Sure UHF for around £140 each and VHF for £32 each.

It also depends on location and time of day for the event. In the daytime you might get away with UHF or VHF on deregulated (License not required) frequencies but in the evening when the local pubs and clubs get going, you might be better going for UHF on shared frequencies (get a short term license from JMFG). Dempends what is going on in the area, only you know!!

Agreed, do a 'Google' for 'sennheiser freeport' It will return lots of suppliers in UK at good prices

Just be aware that as far as I know, they only work on 4 frequencies in Ch70 (License not required) therefore prone to interference from other users/pubs/clubs

Agreed, do a 'Google' for 'sennheiser freeport' It will return lots of suppliers in UK at good prices

Just be aware that as far as I know, they only work on 4 frequencies in Ch70 (License not required) therefore prone to interference from other users/pubs/clubs

Thanks guys - that looks absolutely ideal!

Just a question - the Carlsbro Handheld radio mic I have also works on the same frequency band (Chanel 70) and has 16 selectable channels. Am I likely to have any problems with the frequencies overlapping if I use it with two of these freeports? Or should I be Ok with appropriate chanel choices?

Many thanks,

Chris

Should be OK, just download the freeport specs and find out exactly which 4 frequencies they use, use the freeports on the 2 lowest and put the Calsbro on its highest.

The Freeport freqs are selected not to cause intermod problems between themselves and moving the Calsbro as far away as possible should stop any possibility of intermod distortion between the Freeports and the Calsbro. If it does occur then just try moving the Calsbro to another frequency (you have 16 to try from :lock: )

Just a question - the Carlsbro Handheld radio mic I have also works on the same frequency band (Chanel 70) and has 16 selectable channels.

16 channels in ch.70? I have my doubts...

In case you're not aware, the only UHF frequencies you can use without a licence are those between 863.1 and 864.9MHz, which is the extent of ch.70. I think the free port will offer 863.1, 863.5, 864.3 and 864.9. Set your two freeports to two of those and the carlsbro to one of the remaining ones.

16 channels in ch.70? I have my doubts...

Indeed. While it is possible on some systems to select from a wide range of frequencies within channel 70, in terms of simultaneous use of systems within this band without intermod problems, the limit is usually 4.

Steve

Hey Guys,

Many thanks for your thoughts on this. I have definitely decided to buy the Sennheiser Freeport Presenter System for the lapel mic.

My question is to you to choose which one of the mics to buy for the handheld radio mic? I currently have a single Carlsbro CMR30 (http://www.soundsavers.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_65&products_id=897) which I have been reasonable happy with - as it has only really been used for quick audience questions, you can never really tell how bad it actually sounds! So my choice is now basically, do I buy a second one of these (something inside me thinks it would be quite nice for them to match) of do I buy a Sennheiser Freeport Handheld? Would the freeport have a significantly better sound quality?

A second quick question, would anyone be able to give me any indication of how long each of the mics will run on a single set of Duracell batteries? The CMR30 takes 2xAA, whilst the Freeport takes 1x9V.

Many thanks,

Chris

Hi all again,

Thinking about it I am assuming that the Freeport system would have a longer battery life as it takes the more powerfull 9v battery that the CMR30 which has 2xAA. Is this a fair assumption or does it not make much difference? Many thanks,

Chris

Archived