Small LX desk

Suzette

Are you open to second hand desks? If so then I would suggest having a look at the Strand MX or even the GSX/LBX desks. True, they are a bit older, but they both do what you want. you may be able to get them cheaper than a new desk with a comparable spec

Apologies if I misled about the Maxim, but we had a 2-hour demo and it became clear to us after 10 minutes that it wasn't best at generics being programmed into a cue stack. The other 1hr 50mins only went on to confirm that it can be a real wizard with moving lights, but plays aren't really it's thing! Whenever we asked questions about how to do certain things with the cues or generics the answer always seemd to be "well you can do that but you have to do it like this instead." Whenever Andy demonstrated something with some movers it seemed very impressive.

Still, you may love it. I may not. Such is life. :wacko:

Apologies if I misled about the Maxim, but we had a 2-hour demo and it became clear to us after 10 minutes that it wasn't best at generics being programmed into a cue stack.

hmmm... sorry to labour the point, but I just wonder at the ability of the person programming it. If all they usually use it for is movers, then the way they operate the board will be quite different to the way someone who uses generics primarily will operate it. When using movers, recording pallets and presets (and editing pallets and presets) is all done through the patpad, and standard desk functions are rarely used. *shrug*

The desk is not designed for cuestack, so I agree that cuestack is a pain (ie inserting cues between two others), but generics in scene masters is childs play. Set state, record scene, select playback. To adjust the levels in a recorded cue, Edit, select playback, hit the flash button of the channel you wish to edit, use the jog wheel to adjust intensity - you can also edit other things like fade times etc by hitting the function button. To finish, hit edit again. Cuestack from memory works much the same.

Thanks for all the comments .... I'm now buying a Jester.

I really wanted to like the Smartfade but the desk's main use will be in a small studio theatre, generics only, maximum 24 channels (and that's only when I can get an electrical upgrade to get enough power in the space!) - 2-way preset for the acting students to play with and an easily programmable memory cuestack - "put up the lights, hit record!"

Sorry ETC - your desk has too many button presses and FAR too many constant flashing lights when trying to programme a memory/cuestack. I'm sure that it has many admirers, but it just isn't suitable for the task I need it to do.

Archived