DMX buffer?

back_ache

I have two bits of DMX kit that won't talk to each other(one a DMX output and the other a DMX input) I have to make to talk each other, both happily talk to my cheap tester, but not each other!

presuming one is "flippant" and the other "fussy" with the DMX standard, what is the most cost effective method of regenerating the DMX signal, I was wondering about using a buffered DMX splitter, any ideas or suggestions?

Souds like a physical problem with the connectors rather than a DMX problem.

Check that the data lines on the connectors are correct orientation, my cheap tester only tells if DMX present it doesn't identify polarity.

Also you say pieces of kit, perhaps there is a dry joint or broken connection on the PCB if the DMX connectors are direct mount or if they're linked to the PCB by a jumper plug the plug may have become dislodged.

Another reason for them not talking is sometimes if the XLR connectors have had their shells connected to screen by mistake..if for example you're using a balanced mic lead by mistake.

This can short one half of the DMX signal to earth on certain fixtures..some Chauvet equipment for example.

Could be to do with the speed of the DMX that is being outputted by your output device, and your input device not being able to keep up with the output device.

This happens with Avolites Pearls and Zero88 Alphapacks, the pearl standard output speed is too quick and needs to be slowed down (161ms if I remember correctly is fastest it will accept), this is easy on the Pearl as there is a menu to slow it down, but this might not be the case on your output device.

What are the two devices you are trying to get to talk to each other?

Cheers

Dan

Archived