Db Meter

richard

I need to get a mid-range Db meter for work, one suitable to checking the level (we have a limit on the average over 15 minutes) and it should be quite accurate (I appreciate it will need calibrating quite often)

Anyone know of any that would be suitable? I don't know a massive amount about the things..

Thanks

Richard

Don't think that one will do the 15 minute average thing.

I looked into integrating meters a few months back and found all of them to be rather more money that I wanted to spend. As the physics department let me borrow theirs, I did not buy one. My little Radio Shack one comes to gigs with me and can at least integrate over 99 seconds.

I had an email offer from CPC advertising a dB meter for quite cheap. Unfortunately I've deleted it and cant remember any details, but might be worth a search.

Unfortunately CPC doesn't let me post a weblink to the search I've just done, but if you type in 'sound meter' into the main search, and then look in the 'test equipment' then 'environmental' section, it comes up with a whole range.

Might help you out, they've got lots available.

Richard,

It sounds like you need a class 2 integrating sound level meter. Most of the devices in the cheap and cheerful category are either not class 2 or don't offer Leq. If you buy the type that acousticians would use, then look for products from the likes of Castle, Norsonic, Cirrus etc. Expect to pay upward of £750 to £1000 for a half decent one. The cheaper Castle GA215 is £680 + VAT from RS. The Norsonic I purchased last year (takes LEq and octave band, logs data and has a calibrator) cost nearer £2000. Class 1 devices are more money again.

The other approach is to buy a NTI Acoustilyser with the MiniSPL mic. This gives you a broad range of measurements, including Leq, and the supplied Minilink software allows you to use it with a PC for data logging. Cost of the AL1 and MiniSPL is ~ £730 + VAT. It's a very useful tool.

HTH,

Simon

Yep that one which TallMike linked to does not, unfortunately, do the 15 min Leq like you require.

It really depends on how much you want to spend. Mid-range to me suggests something costing a few hundred.

A lot of people on here seem to have the Phonic PAA3 and love it. But from reading the descriptions about it on different sites, nothing is mentioned about integrating or averaging or Leq

Some others have the Neutrik Acoustilyzer AL1 and like that a lot too. It has a little sister, the Minilyzer.

I can't comment on them other than say that people have them and seem to get on with them well...

Mr. Simon Lewis, do you have experience of the NTI sound level meters?

The cheapest sound level meters I've used which do Leq are probably ones made by Castle.

The ones on the Farnell based sites (farnell and CPC) all seem to be Type 3 (class 2) meters and accurate to within 2dB.

I think the Acoustilyzer is a Type 1, accurate to within 0.1dB.

RS Online have a much better stock list of what I'd recognise as a SLM.

May I suggest you buy one from them.

Si

Edit: D'oh!!!! Simon got there before me and mentioned the Acoustilyzer

Mr Si,

The Acoustilyser is great, and provides some very useful functions. The Minilyser will give some SPL measurement, but I cannot remember just how much - try the NTI site for information. The Acoustilyser can be upgraded (in exchange for an arm an most of a leg) to measure STIPA, and they even have a stand alone STIPA noise source.

The Acoustilyser is Type 2 with the MiniSPL mic. It will work as Type 1 with their better mic, but it requires an external phantom supply!!

Richard,

there are some other solutions - in the form of logging rack mount sound management systems (I'll try and dig out the details), and even Smaart if you have the hardware already available. Smaart does need a calibrator to give "real" readings though.

Simon

Archived