Do you need a degree to get the best theatre jobs?

Must argue that point.

Rose Bruford College has the best environment, courses and background by far.

When choosing the right course Rose Bruford was the best suited, the stage management course for example can be adapted to the way that you want it to run, and the tutors will help you with that.

When visiting the other colleges around with similar stage management courses I found that no other college compared to Rose Bruford at all.

Try it, go to an open day and find out for yourself.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best thing of course is to see as many places as possible. The last post I made sounded a little arrogant, and I apologise for that.

Different places suit different students. I am personally very happy at the RSAMD, and feel that I made the right decision. Many of the colleges have very good reputation and you do really need to shop around.

I was not at all sure which path in Tech theatre that I wanted to take, so I opted for the RSAMD, because in my opinion it is a very universal course - developing my skills in all the areas of Tech Theatre, and then letting me elect what to do, later in the course.

I could not go down the route that S.M. has done, because I did not know that Stage Management was my thing, and if I remember correctly Rose Bruford is a Stage Management course - is that right?

Central School Of Speech and Drama do a similar thing, there's is a BA Theatre Practice, and they ask you to decide what you want from Day One.

All I can say is that RSAMD is an extremely friendly, happy place, and a wonderful environment in which to learn.

James

CSSDs' Theatre Practice course does allow you to change your mind if you so desire. And you still study skills in other areas so it's not just a one track pony.

The best thing is to go to as many open days and interviews as you can and choose the college seems to be best suited to what, and how, you want to learn.

Whether you decide to go to college or not, start getting ready to work as soon as possible. It is entirely possible to balance a Higher Ed course and part-time work as a causal or in fringe, and the practical experience you learn working will complement the course, reinforcing the practical skills that you learn, and putting the academic aspect into context.

If you go straight into work, then you don't need to worry about all that, of course.

It may also be worthwhile having a look at vocational short courses. From the more known City and Guilds courses (236 as is, 181) to the Bronze Technician Award run by the ABTT, there is a range that cover the skills that are needed on a day-to-day basis in the business. Most of them you should be able to fit around other commitments.

Hope this didn't come out too much like a careers advisors spiel (it's all right, I don't play one on telly either :rolleyes: )

Good luck

TeeJay, have you had recent contact with CSSD. When I went there for both Open Day and Interview this time last year, I was given the very strong impression that they did not like you changing your mind, the guy there said to me that it was difficult because of the work you may have missed etc.

I definitely think that its good advice to get out there and work during your study - often college work is a little too sanitised and "correct" for some of what you encounter out there.

Ditto your thoughts on the Career Advisor bit (quite detestable people I have found - "Oh no you don't wanna go into theatre" - Hey but that's a whole other thread !!!)

Recent within the last few years.

True, they do prefer you to stay with whichever strand you chose at the beginning but if you make the commitment to put the work in to change, I don't think that they would stop you.

That said, by about mid way through the course, the work difference would probably be too great to make up, unlike the Technical management degrees from other colleges that are structured on giving an overview of all jobs backstage

That'll teach me to hurry an answer just before doing the safety checks on tonights show :rolleyes:

Must argue that point.

Rose Bruford College has the best environment, courses and background by far.

When choosing the right course Rose Bruford was the best suited, the stage management course for example can be adapted to the way that you want it to run, and the tutors will help you with that.

When visiting the other colleges around with similar stage management courses I found that no other college compared to Rose Bruford at all.

Try it, go to an open day and find out for yourself.

Every place has different pros and cons. Beware of anyone who says "we're the best and thats it". Its about the person as much as the course, and it has to be right for you.

For what its worth, if anyones after somewhere to do stage damagement, I'd look at Guildhall and RSAMD :stagecrew:

im thinking about what im going to do at the moment, im nearing the end of my penultimate year in compulsary education so its getting towards decision time... I have been tempted to do a 'BTEC National Diploma in Performing Arts (Technical)' which is avaliable fairly near me... http://www.brooksbymelton.ac.uk (bits of might not work the site only went up a few weeks ago I think). I've also concidered going straight into work with training at 16, preferably industry related but you dont always get what you want. earning money is tempting but so is two years more free education.

if anyones got any advice, id be greatful

Tom

I have already made several comments on this subject, so I won't repeat that, but here is my basic advice.

The course, place, and level you take Technical Theatre Training to is entirely up to you. In most industries they say the better qualified you are, the better you will be. Whether this is true or not in theatre is debateable. However, my feeling is that in today's particularly regulated world, it is better to learn those skills than to pick them up as you go along.

I am a first year student on the BA Technical and Production Arts Course at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama. Earlier on this page you have heard people who are very fulfilled and satisfied at Rose Bruford, Central School of Speech and Drama, Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, etc etc.

Wherever your personal circumstances lead you to decide to go, consider the following questions:

1. Are the facilities good for you to work with whilst studying.

2. Is the qualification you get at the end one which is going to make you easily employable. For example, it is a lot easier to get work as a Stage Manager than as a Designer - a larger volume of employment - so taking a purely Design course may not be the best option.

3. Does the place seem happy, cheerful, are the students enthusiastic, as well as the staff.

4. Also be aware that if you want to take a degree course, most of the academic requirements are not that great in this field. Many say two A-Level passes OR SIMILAR. There are many students, for example, who have come onto the course here at the RSAMD with HNC certificates. Broadly speaking, at all the establishments I visited academic qualifications were relatively unimportant - what mattered more was a passion for learning, a passion for theatre, some sense of theatre experience.

Finally, it is always useful to know what you are going to face at interview. If you do apply for any courses - pop onto this board where there are leaps of students who have been through the process abd are more than happy to help you out

Good Luck with your deliberations !!!!

• 3 weeks later...
It is entirely possible to balance a Higher Ed course and part-time work as a causal or in fringe

I've got a place a Guildford school of acting next year for their degree course, and this issue of cassie work is one very much on my mind at the moment!!

having had student loan finance talk this week, and finding out how much Guildford accomodation is, the prospect of not earning is pretty dire! I would love to do casual work at a theatre, as I've only ever done voluntary (my area is well stocked with techs).

Do you find it difficult to juggle course work and cassie work? I know all courses will be different, but if you can do it, it gives me some hope!

Well if you think of the casual work as purely a 'part-time' job (surely not? ;)) then it'll just be like working at Tesco's but gaining experience (plus phat getouts) as well as experience.

But if starts to take over your life (ah-ha now we're talking!) then you have to make the decision between course n' job.

Whats near Guildford? Hmmm you could try the Chief LX / Technicial Manager at Woking or Camberly, see if they have a use for cassies (not all venues use alot, or will have a small 'stock' of very regular boys/girls) and, if goes well, offer to drop in for a chat next time your in the area?

Worth a try, whats the worse than can happen! <_<

Stu

Hello again, thought you might like an update as to what I'm doing with myself.

I've been to an interview at The Arts Institute at Bournemouth and have been given a conditional offer for their Arts and Event production course. Not keen on this one at all, but it's a good reserve as I don't have to move out of home.

I went to Bristol Old Vic Stage School a couple of weeks ago, loved the course but thought the building itself was old and tatty. They also didn't have great equipment or facilities there. But it doesn't matter because they I got a rejection letter from them this morning, telling me that apparently a record number of people applied and standards were much higher than usual. Ok, whatever....

I have also been to Rose Bruford in Sidcup and have not heard back from them yet, should be soon. I loved the people and the atmosphere here, everyone was so friendly and I felt accepted as soon as I arrived. However the course is purely Stage Management (ASM, DSM, SM, CSM) and I'm not sure I can give up playing with lights and sound etc just yet.

I've just got back from Wales where I stayed for a couple of days, to look at both Royal Welsh College in Cardiff and Trinity College in Carmarthen. I absolutely loved Royal Welsh, the course seems right for me, the people are great and the place has great facilities and equipment. Waiting to hear from them soon, but they are definitely my top choice.

Trinity College I have to say was a big waste of time, the site looked like a picture from Sarajevo (after the bombings) and the whole day was poorly organised. They had over 60 people there both for the technical course and the acting course, which meant they could only afford to interview us for 15 minutes each. The guy I had interviewing me also decided it was ok to answer his mobile twice during my 15 mins, and didn't really give me much info about the course at all. Then I was asked to pick an image from a pile and write about how it made me feel. I just don't see how Trinity are going to be able to make justified decisions about who they want on their course.

I'm off to Northbrook College next Tues which I'm quite excited about as I've heard good things about the place, but if not I'm praying Royal Welsh offer me a place there, I've kinda fallen in love with the place.

Thanks again for all the advice, and if there's one bit I can give to others it is to see as many places as you possibly can. You just don't know until you've been there.

Thanks for listening,

Luce

XxX

Sorry, forgot to add I'm still taking a year out to try and get some work in local theatres and pay off my debts. I'd also like to see how far I get in a year and whether it would be better for me to carry on in the job and work my way up, or if I'm not getting anywhere to then go off to uni.

I just don't know what to do with myself, so if anyone wants to make the decision for me please go ahead.

Luce

XxX

I'd like to reinforce and adapt a couple of the points made further up this conversation - it is both what you know, and who you know. the ways of getting that knowledge and those contacts are many and various. I would suggest that a good thing is to go to college and try and get casual work, to cover both angles, and if at college you get the opportunity for attachments or secondments with professional organisations, grab them with both hands.

Its a shame you got a rejection from Bristol Old Vic...I have a friend on the first year of the SM course and he thinks it's Brilliant. The thing about in house kit at these type of colleges is that just because they dont' own lots of kit it doesnt mean they don't have access to it. Here at Bruford for example we don't own moving lights but have quite good links within the industry and can always get them when we need them (over used comes to mind...but thats another story).

The course at Guildhall School of Music & Drama sounds the best one for you that I know of. They also have good links in the industry and a v. good reputation for stage managers and also do light, audio, costume etc.

Good Luck!

Jon

Archived