Yet another problem. DMX in dimmers causes error

allymoss

I have 4 dimmer packs, (12 sockets, 6 channels in each)

DMX cable from laptop (I use PC Stage) goes to top dimmer, and they are linked together daisy chain. The bottom one is usually where I plug another cable in to go to my 2x ACME spotknight mh-664 moving head. The cable I use is a 5pin DMX to 3pin, then just standard longer 3pin XLR to the device. Anyway, dimmers are all working fine until I plug this wire in. As soon as I plug in, the little red "error" LED comes on and then all the other dimmers do the same. I cant control the ACME's or the lights at all!

Is this a cable problem?? I don't get much time with them so ideas before I go would help. I have wired it before like this and had no problem. I dont have a DMX cable tester but I have XLR tester.

Also, strange thing is when I do plug in, they stop doing their standard inbuilt show and go to rest position, so there is a connection.

This is Kind of urgent as I will only get to check again tommorow and perhaps the next day!

Thanks for all your help

Hi, What do you mean needs polarity reversed? We did have the electricians in to do some testing about 30 mins before I used them could this have anything to do with it.

I need the swap lead because the dimmers have male 5pin DMX and the acme device has female 3pin! I had to use a converter

Thanks for deleting other post, didnt realise!

em, I very much doubt polarity should need reversed. Plugging a piece of equipment that needs a "pinswap" adapter will pass the original signal through without any problems, it just won't operate. It sounds more like there is a short somewhere, either between 2 pins, or between a pin and the XLR chassis.

Hello,

At the risk of stating the obvious, what XLR cables are you using? Are you using proper data cable? Microphone cable is renowned for causing DMX data errors! Similarly is the line terminated? again, an un-terminsted line can cause all manner of problems!

HTH

On re-reading your post, you say electricians were in testing - Were they PAT testing your kit?

Jim

Hi,

Yes we only have standard 3pin XLR's, we don't have any DMX 3-pins which is a shame, whats the difference by the way?

Line is terminated, I made my own today, quite neat, 120ohm 0.5w resistor across pins 2 and 3 on spare DMX/XLR plug

Electricians were not PAT testing kit, just the main electrics, the "big" stuff, fuse boxes etc. PAT testing is a real pain! Every light has to be taken down for them, every extension cable, lead anything associated with power because in schools and public places they take no risks, although thats not till November! Few

I will try a few more cables tommorow and report back

DMX cable and mic cable are technically different. But; in real life, the differences are often negligible. You will probably get away with it if you use the wrong one. Are your DMX and Mic cables not marked as being different in any way? If not, find out which is which and mark them yourself.

Telling the difference between DMX and mic cable is tricky, but as a general rule of thumb, DMX cable is usually plastic coated, stiffer than Mic cable and a bit thinner. Mic cable is rubber coated, a bit more flexible, and thicker.

A quick :angry: turned these out.

It's not the connectors, it's the cable in the lead!

PAT may be a pain, but it should still be done, especially in a school environment.

Well our school budget for equipment is £0 a year although we have a contract with HSL to put lights up etc as we don't have anyone with qualifications yet!

I will see if I can tell tommorow about the mic/DMX cables, are the mic ones shiny because all our cables are dull black.

I know PAT testing has to be done but still takes ages, last year, they had to come back 3 times because they forgot loads of stuff each time, even though it was laid out in the hall in order of size type of everything! I suppose its a good time to re-organise everything.

Very good idea, over the summer HSL have come in and taken our strand lighting desk, which we don't use for shows but inbetween stuff and they also changed a load of channels and lights plugged into dimmers which is REALLY annoying. So tommorow I will check to see if the terminator is switched on on the dimmer and if so, turn it off!

In answer to the post by "iamchristuffin" No-one really, I am the person that does all the lights and I have employed 2 other helpers to do sound and stage management. There was a teacher that had qualifications to put lights up etc but left last year, HSL come in before any shows, I have to have lights ready for them and once up thats it, we can't even move them or change filters. So in answer to your question, Me but I can't put lights up in high places!

In answer to the post by "iamchristuffin" No-one really, I am the person that does all the lights and I have employed 2 other helpers to do sound and stage management. There was a teacher that had qualifications to put lights up etc but left last year, HSL come in before any shows, I have to have lights ready for them and once up thats it, we can't even move them or change filters. So in answer to your question, Me but I can't put lights up in high places!

Understandable, with the H&S that's in place. Not to be a killjoy or a hypocrite, but I'm a bit surprised you're allowed at the dimmers either, without any supervision. Also, how do you employ people if you're still (like me) a student?

When I say employ, I mean they want to do some tech stuff and I teach them and they do it, they know what to do now.

As for the Dimmers, I was told by the person before me I wasn't allowed but he did it anyway. On the safe side I was going to ask the Adult in charge and forgot basically. Anyway one day she say go and turn power on up in the lighting box, and I say am I allowed and she goes sure. So I can turn them on and off and plug DMX leads in but not much else.

Archived