Powerpoint (again! I know!)

allymoss

This is my setup at the moment. I am set up in a school. I am at the back with all the control kit, laptop with PCStage and we have all the sound mixers there aswell.

I want to have a projector at the fron of the hall on the stage. I cant hang it above for lots of reasons but that doesnt matter. Anyway, it will have a laptop next to it which I will control from the back of the hall. We have a long crossover network cable. My idea was to connect the 2 laptops from either end of the hall. Install VNC (remote desktop connection but means both screens are active) And before the show, open my slideshow (1st slide blank) then when the time comes during the show, I can just click onto the vnc and the next slide will appear.

The person before I got in charge used to use some sort of code, perhaps using PPS slaves and stuff, not sure but he may have used PCStage directly.

What I want to know is if there is a better way of doing it than my way or could someone explain the other way just above this line.

Thanks

What about using a long lead to the projector direct from the VGA output of the laptop at the back.

This will be prohibitively expensive using VGA leads but you could use something like

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/Audio,+Video+&a...jsp?sku=AV16050

I'll try and have a look tomorrow at the model we usually use the above link isn't a recomendation of a specific product.

Mi-ul

Anyway, it will have a laptop next to it which I will control from the back of the hall. We have a long crossover network cable. My idea was to connect the 2 laptops from either end of the hall. Install VNC (remote desktop connection but means both screens are active)

plan sounds pretty sensible but I'm not sure vnc will work with a crossover cable. I would be interested to know if it does.

Simple method that I know will work is to get a router involved, if you use a wireless one, it will save a couple of cables.

PM me if you get stuck with vnc, it has a bit of a personality of its own sometimes.

Good luck,

Pete

Without drifting too much off topic, VNC, or indeed any network apps will work fine with the crossover cable, although you may need to asign the machines static IPs, as there won't be a DHCP server on the network, although I believe the Automatic Private ones are designed for this very purpose.

More on topic, the PowerPoint slave thing will be the best option, dbuckley, a user here, has written some information on it, available here.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

1. The crossover cable is just to connect them and I will use static private ips's and subnet mask.

2. VNC will work as long as they are connected and connecting 2 computers together is done with a crossover cable

I might have a look at this powerpoint slave thing as this is what was used last time

Thanks

Personally, and it's because I'm an AV guy rather than a PC Geek, I'd get a good quality VGA lead of the right length, and run the PC at the back in the control position. That way should the PC have a hissy fit, it's there for you to slap it and give a three finger salute too.

I'd not bother with a CAT option for a length under 30m, just use a good cable, which should cost about £40-50.

Hi, thanks for this guys. In reply to the last post, VGA cables have a limit on length and it is too short for this.

For the summer production at my old school, we ran one from the control position at the back of the hall down the side of the hall, up the wall and halfway along our FOH bar to the projector without a line driver and any issues whatsoever. Must have been a good 30M at least.

Edited to make it clear what I was replying to

I get the impression that the OP has their mind set on using the software option, hence not replying to the rebuff I originally got.

I'll happily say it again though- I'd run VGA upto 30m on a VGA cable. Use VDC Red Series and I'd go further. If it was 30-50m then I'd put a line driver in to drive the signal. Afther that I probably go to a CAT5 option. But then again that is because I have the kit in the warehouse, and prefer to put my trust in physical cables rather than networking and PC's. At least if you have a cable from A to B and no image it can be a lot easier to trouble shoot.

My Humble opinion....

Conferences used to be my main 'thing' (that and large event lighting) - I have done conferences from as small as 1 room, to 25 rooms, with between one and 10 AV techs - and in doing so have experimented a lot with VNC and equiv applications.

VNC to control powerpoint is a very effective tool, however, physical access to the machine is ALWAYS better.

For conferences where there is an operator but the show PC at control, VNC is great, so that the operator can play solitair, but if there is an issue, they can use VNC to fix the PC without going all the way up to control and infront of the audience (Tip: always remeber to disable keyboard and mouse - aka View Only - when you are not doing something to the show PC - saves a lot of embarasment)

Same with conferences where there are multiple rooms, and a limited number of floating techs - VNC, and a projector/plasma in the speakers prep room. Quick fixes can be done using VNC (Ie when you get the pain in the arse presenter who does not know how to follow instructions - "Just click once, and your presentation will appear" - and hits escape to go delving through the PC for their presenation), or if a problem is spotted, a technician can be despatched quickly.

However if it is a one op show, and PC can be placed anywhere, ALWAYS at control. ALWAYS! Roughly three quarters of the venues I have visited for conferences have had dodgey cat5 infrastructure - and running your own cat5 is often quite dodgey too - long runs of cat5 using stranded core cat5 results in lossy signal and errors, and solid core cat5 breaks far too easily.

VGA is a hell of a lot tougher than cat5 (and RGBHV down Coax is even better).

If you can find one with adequate range, how about a wireless keyboard & mouse? We use them all the time in classrooms for controlling a PC in a cupboard from anywhere in the room.

(Some projector remotes can even be used as mice via IR but I wouldn't trust it over too long a distance and it's only good for advancing slides really as you don't get keyboard control.)

Thanks for all your comments, I have been away so havent replied!

The reason I am using a standard crossover cable and the plugin for PCStage is that:

It was done before

We have a crossover cable that was specially made for this hall!

We do not have a VGA cable at the moment.

Although, all very interesting reading and I might look into the wireless keyboard and mouse as these seems a simple idea for some students that arent very technically minded!

Archived