Pulasr Analogue Desks

jexjexjex

Hi All

Before some of you jump on top of me, I've had a squint around and I can't find an answer to what I'm looking for.

Which is...

How easy is it to change over the pin out from a Pulsar 6 way desk to match Zero88, etc?

The Pulsar web site says that there is a terminal block inside that can be used if the desk is permanently mounted somewhere.

I suppose my query is really, is the 8 pin cable connected to this block anyway and is it a simple case os swapping the wires round there, or do I have to do a fiddly soldering job with the connector at the end of the tail, or or make up a jumper cable?

Thanks (Hopefully) for your help.

Hi All

How easy is it to change over the pin out from a Pulsar 6 way desk to match Zero88, etc?

The Pulsar web site says that there is a terminal block inside that can be used if the desk is permanently mounted somewhere.

I suppose my query is really, is the 8 pin cable connected to this block anyway and is it a simple case os swapping the wires round there, or do I have to do a fiddly soldering job with the connector at the end of the tail, or or make up a jumper cable?

Thanks (Hopefully) for your help.

Oops hit the button too quick there!

The answer is, yes very easy. The 8 pin cable is connected to the internal block with screw terminals and it is simply a case of rearranging the colour coded cables on the block.

The Pin out swap is reasonably simple. On a Zero88 teh channel control pins are 1-6 respectively, Common is No.8 and where required Power is pin 7. On Pulsar the power is pin 1 and the Common is pin 2 channels 1-6 are on Pins 3-8.

If you can I would suggest making a small convertor cable rather than messing with the desk, that way you can swap and change as you need rather than re-wire the desk each time.

As a bit of history the reasoning behind the Pulsar coding goes back to when 3 channel dimmers were more common, a 5 pin din plug will fit into an 8 way socket, allowing the desk to control the first three channels of any pulsar dimmer as the pins 1-5 of an 8 way DIN match a 5 way DIN, the extra 3 pins are squeezed in between.

Personally, I would be tempted to make up some jumper cables, in that way, it's easy to use your desk with both Z88 and Pulsar Dimmers if the need arises!

If you don't want an adaptor (which can easily get lost etc.) another option might be to knock a short tail with a socket into the desk, so that both pinouts are present on the desk itself.

Archived