Uplighters

jayselway

Hi all,

I was wittering with a friend in a coffee shop today, and we somehow got onto the subject of up-lighters and their use in Marquee's. Now, to clarify from the start, I am not referring to the typical square section up-lighters usually seen in marquees, but PAR Cans on floor stands / Floor Cans, which allow gels to be used easily of course. My friend mentioned that he hard heard something or somebody saying that these were no longer allowed, and only cold-source lanterns could be used in such positions, for said purposes.

Has there been a change in legislation referring to the use of lanterns which may be hot, aside from the usual safety precautions and RA's which are a) common sense, and b) required for liability reasons. I know LED lanterns are preferable for this use, as the risk of someone catching either clothes or skin on a hot lamp is seriously reduced, however we have not made the move to a large quantity of LED fixtures as yet, and still have a couple of jobs booked in which would require cans on stands.

Any thoughts?

Thanks as always

Jay ;)

While hot things may present more for the Risk Assessment, this currently is a rumour projection from the current revision of BS7909. However as the revision is in a confidential phase it will remain a rumour til the public phase of the revision.

It may be a public liability thing too - our insurers recently issued a decree that any movable object or temporary piece of equipment on any floor that was hot, a trip hazard or electrical had to be removed or fully enclosed in an enclosure that would negate any risk.

Archived