Strand Series 200 24 / 48 Issue

Jambo_UK

Hi everyone,

Hope someone can help. Just got my old Lighting desk out to test it before selling it and it has developed an odd fault. The desk is a Strand 200, 24/48 version without monitor card. the basic fault is the odd channels can't hold a stable signal. by this I mean;

I put channel 3 up to 255 (100%) and the fixture on it intermittently flashes. The fixture was swapped out with another and then a different unit completely. The DMX cable was changed as well and still has the same problem.

This fault occurs on most of the odd channels, I know for sure, ch 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13 have failed.

The only other thing that is annoying is the fact the LEDs for the channels also flash intermittently as well. No pattern to them.

I have tried the normal tests.

Stopped all FX and Subs,

Wipe the Desk memory of all Fx and Subs

Run on board testing and all PASSED no issues

Checked the power supply which is a replacement (not Strand) one and that matches the voltage and Amperage of the desk.

Any ideas welcomed, Also how much would this desk fetch second hand as I'm thinking of ebaying it and I'm not sure what a sensible opening bid would be? Was thinking £250ish as it is in good condition apart from the above fault.

Thanks for the help in advance

Regards

Jamie

It does sound like a noise problem - that can certainly come from a dodgy PSU.

Now not having our 200 desk in front of me I couldn't say at the moment what type of PSU it uses, BUT it should be pointed out that not all PSU's of the same voltage/current rating are created equal...

Where did you get that PSU? Is it just a cheap charger? Quite often these are simple outputs with very little smoothing on the output.

I'd recommend calling a few local hire co's and see if any of them a) have a 200 in stock and b) wouldn't mind you popping in with your 200 and checking the functionality with their PSU.

As for how much it could be worth, I'd say not a great deal if you want to be honest. If advertising on Ebay, their policy is that goods should be properly described - if you KNOW there is a fault on the desk, and don't publish the fact, then you're breaking that policy and to be frank I'd say that would be rather irresponsible of you. But if you advertised it honestly with reference to the fault (if indeed it IS a fault on the desk and not the PSU) then you'd certainly not get a great deal for it unless someone out there was willing to take a chance.

Thanks for the quick responds. The PSU is a cheap one and it was supplied with the desk when I brought it from shut down studio, about 6 months ago. The desk appeared to work fine for a good couple of weeks then it was put into storage as it was easier to take a smaller desk then itself. I will do the call rounds on Monday.

As for the ebay comment. I wasn't planning to list it till the fault has either been solved, or I will list it on Ebay as faulty. As I agree it would be breach of ebay's T&C

Thanks for the help

EDIT: 01:09AM

OK this is weird, took the desk apart to find the power connector loose. Connected back up got a different light error and noise. Check the data connections and push them in. Close the desk and it works fin. no problems with it now. Still going to get a new PSU just to make sure. Thanks again for the advice.

Archived