feedback, where to destroy?

nothingatall666

Unless you are considering moving the staging, this should really have been raised under sound.

Some information about the hall would help for specific advice.

In general, if the feedback occurs on more than one microphone, look at trying to tune it out using the graphic. If it only occurs on a single microphone, then the starting point is the channel equalisation, then consider the overall graphic. A graphic inserted into the channel may be another option, but much more information would be needed to be able to give more effective help.

It will also be worth your time to use the Google site search facility and the WIKI to increase your own understanding of feedback and equalisation. These are topics which have been covered many times for many people, and most of what you need to learn is already available for just looking.

Peter

ok thanks...

"if the feedback occurs on more than one microphone, look at trying to tune it out using the graphic. If it only occurs on a single microphone, then the starting point is the channel equalisation, then consider the overall graphic"

that is reli all I need to know... and yes maybe I should have studied it more before asking :D but this is what blue-room's all about

thanks again

but this is what blue-room's all about

No - it isn't. many of our members only look at particular areas, so if they are sound people, they may never ever see a post about feedback in staging. or a lighting poblem in sound could generate no replies at all!

If your speakers are hidden by the staging - then just think about the frequencies you have to drop to make it stable. You might well get less feedback, but can the audience understand what the turns say? Removing troublesome parts gets rid of one problem and replaces it with another possibly worse one!

How about relocating the speakers. It seems like the best solution.

Your original post reads as though someone dictated it to you through the sound system, but I could be wrong.

Moderation: quote removed - not required

No, No. No - the frequency response is already skewed by the restricted loudspeaker position, a feedback destroyer will just add even more sharp notches and make it sound even worse. I own a lot of different models of feedback destroyers in them, and other things with feedback reduction facilities in them, and I find none work that well at all. If you want a particular frequency removed they do it, and some can remove quite a few - but the sound that is left is pretty compromised. It doesn't feedback, but sounds like a cheap plastic stereo system.

Archived