Good basic hardware inventory

norty303

I was actually going to ask something on the very subject but decided better of it for fear of opening an (old) can of worms.

Yep, I opened the can. I did hesitate, but decided it was worth a mention. Bad decision, sorry about that.

Actually I've found the comments interesting, just didn't want to be the one who got the blame. ;)

Clutch chain topic is here!

Also, any good way to gen up on this topic without enroling on a full course? I have a full time job to maintain (and full time partner!) so time and money prevent me, despite my longing to do it.

Not sure what you'd define as being a "full course", but I can vouch for the Total Solutions 3 day Rigging for the Entertainment Industry training being more than worth three days off. Definitely check it out.

Gareth.

it locks, its adjustable and you can vary the length of legs (so long as you keep your inclusive angle below 45 degrees per leg).

That looks interesting. Is it a single chain between the hooks?

ie: Do you mean it would do this?: http://www.deepsoup.f2s.com/BR/upchain.gif

Unfortunately, if I understand you correctly its pretty hopeless in this case. Keeping the total included angle under 90 degrees wouldn't be a problem most of the time, but keeping each leg within 45 degrees of vertical definitely would be.

Plus, it has sprung latches to the hook, which greatly increase the chances of snagging during load-out especially. Plus, a stac chain has a sensible length of adjustment, (remember, the minimum you can adjust a stac chain is half a link, if you put one link in the basket). Plus, the links are a lot easier to count in the air in order to inform the ground bloke how many links to put in the next bridle (assuming it had to be adjested in the air.

Where are our trade organisations when it comes to these regulations? Clearly, a correctly used stac chain is more than adequate in terms of load bearing capacity, user friendliness and is less likely to snag in the air. The only reason they are shunned is due to regulation being applied which is inappropriate. Don't we have trade organisations to lobby statutory bodies?

Hopefully that funny looking thing has more chain on it than the animation shows. Another question; does it have to have both legs loaded? If so, it therefore has to go in the apex of the bridle? Pretty useless without a cherry picker.....(here we go, "you shouldn't be climbing on beams!" Dons tin helmet)

Archived