Mixers

ian hatch

Hi there

I've got a couple questions that I hope the community can answer.

Question 1

Been asked to a bit of sound work for a local duo, all that's involved is two singers and a laptop supplying the backing tracks.

I don't really want to take out my 24ch desk for such a job, so my question is which small mixer would yourselves recommend to get for the job.

Is 6ch too small, is it better to have built in effects?

I've got a separate FX unit to go with it, if needs be, and budget is no real issue.

Question 2

I need to get a rack light/s for my outboard gear, I tried the blue LED cool-light but it was very dim.

I'm thinking about getting a 2 way goose-light for it, but can't decide between LED or normal bulbs, which is brighter?

Are all LED rack lights fairly dim?

Any thoughts

Have a bit of a look around for stuff on rack lights, its come up before.

As for question 1. The yamaha range are great value for money, It all depends on what else you want to use, built in effects is one less thing to patch in and carry about.

Rob

I'm always a fan of the soundcraft notepad. It would only just do you on channel count, but they're really very sweet and also make a good home desktop mixer for playing around.

Surely the 24ch desk will look far better and more important though!!!!

I like the soundcraft stuff we have just bought a soundcraft EPM6 which is a really good desk for the price. The sound is great and it is reasonably flexible. We also used it as a backup desk on a tour we did so it has been fairly used and still works fine.

Have a bit of a look around for stuff on rack lights, its come up before.

As for question 1. The yamaha range are great value for money, It all depends on what else you want to use, built in effects is one less thing to patch in and carry about.

Rob

Thanks for the reply, done a search on rack lights and nothing came up, any ideas.

Rob

Agreed. Good sound and good features for the price, reverb isn't too bad either.

I'm always a fan of the soundcraft notepad.

If I was to go for a small soundcraft, I would probably go for the Powerpad - it has an internal amp, which whilst you may not need it, adds a little bit of weight to the thing so that you don't feel like you are going to break it every time you use it. We have two of the powerpads, and a notepad at work, and I just find that the notepad is a pain to use because it is just too light (that, and the notepad has an external power supply, and the power pad has an IEC socket). They are great "Set and forget" mixers or good for a 'sub mix', but I would not use them on any shows which require much level riding.

They really are a neat little desk though. However if you want to 'futureproof' yourself, maybe taking it a step up to a 12 channel or 16 channel desk would be a good idea.

I never though of the PSU issue, I'd take the power pad any day of the week if you can do exactly the same as the notepad, just for the PSU thing alone. the Note pad (and the smaller folio desks) power supplies are a bit of a pain.

Have you tried the laptop with your desk? I only ask because laptop power supplies are notorious for introducing lots of interference into the audio signal. If it is a problem for you, running off the laptops battery should solve it. External USB sound 'cards' are also supposed to sort the problem, but I have no experience of these.

I agree with the maplins shark comment. I can't find a link at the moment. But its basically a 1:1 transformer in a black plastic wrapping. Audio quality isn't too bad, as I only use my laptop for playing MP3s. Wouldn't recommend doing a show through a resonable system with volume with it though! Much better to use your battery to avoid the hum in that case.

I did a search at the time of buying, and I believe studiospares had an option for around £60 for a similar thing. Might be worth looking into if you need a good sound for a long time.

Um... huh? I don't get how this topic swung from "the PSU on notepads" - a type of mixer from soundcraft with a cruddy, non-standard connector on the PSU which is a real pain - to hum induced by laptops. Maybe a slight miscommunication thing?

Archived