Where do you draw your inspiration from?

Evolution_Mark

As a newbie to this forum I have read through a lot of it at once, and I have noticed some very prolific LDs :huh: Hence a good place to as the question as stated in the topic title, I thought!

I haven't had much experience as an LD (I'm just not lazy enough :D ) - but do 'design' club rigs and rock rigs. I don't class this as 'true lighting design' by the way, not in the theatrical sense!

So I was wondering, when faced with this situation where you are purely lighting for effect, and a reasonable budget, mid size venue, what would you do?

And the further question, given any amount of money is there any rig or particular thing you'd want to do?

I wonder if I should get a job writing for Smash Hits... :P

It is the same as many creative arts.

Read the script/listen to the music (if there is any), picture what the scene is...think moods...

Look around you when you are in an ordinary room, or outside - you sometimes see very interesting effects in nature.

See as much as you can of the work of others, decide what works and what does not. Try to work out how the designer has achieved an effect you like, and how you can do something similar with the kit available to you.

When you see an effect that you like, remember it because it may be a while before you can use it.

HTH

Ellis

P.S. Still trying to find inspiration for "Magical Lighting" as called for in script - Get-In on Sunday...

The art of design / design of art. Its a big subject, as broad as your mind. Look at light in nature, in painting and photography, Tv, and theatre. Learn to reverse engineer a look into luminaires. Then the BIG step, learn to develop the most suitable look into a design of your own to suit the performance in hand, preserving your art while not bankrupting the production company.

I just close my eyes and imagine what will be being said or heard on stage. I then imagine adding in different elements like a folowspot and if I like that I then imagine adding in something else on top of it like a strobe effect or something and if I don't like it I will just remove that element in my head.

You could of cause use WYSIWYG to experiment with different looks and styles (although sometimes I find this quite time consuming)

It is also helpful to spend a bit of time in the venue and just get a fell and a scene for it and its space.

Sam

Since 90% of what I do is theatre, I base the design on the existing elements of the show, which include the set design, the direction, the text and the pace of the show. However, if I am solely responsible for the look (no set for example), I have to go with instinct. But, bottom line for me is that the lights HAVE to fit the show, and almost go unnoticed. If people don't notice the lighting, I feel it was in sync with the show (which is not to say that I don't want people to notice, just not for the wrong reasons).

My big problem with some design is light for the sake of light; I hate arbitrary choices in color and cueing. I will never just pick a color "because it looks cool", it has to fit the show. Even with rock shows; I had the privledge of lighting a production of "Hedwig and the Angry Inch", and I sat for hours with the music trying to imaging what color the songs were. One of the best experiences on a show I have ever had.

-w

when faced with this situation where you are purely lighting for effect, and a reasonable budget, mid size venue, what would you do?

And the further question, given any amount of money is there any rig or particular thing you'd want to do?

Sorry to point this out, folks, but I'm not sure you're answering Mark's questions. He wants ideas concerned with lighting "purely for effect", not to fit in with something else.

Can I suggest you ask yourself the following questions:

1) Will the effect be enhanced be seeing the fixtures you're using, or will it be better if you don't see them?

2) Will it be better to keep the light on stage or better to let it go off into the audience's eyes?

3) Will it be better to have loads of colours or better to limit the colours (or even just use white)?

4) Is anything going on at the same time that, really, I need to consider?

5) Are there any practical problems (budget, sightlines, scenery in the way etc.)

6) How much time have you got to plot?

Once you've answered these it should get you somewhere near where you need to be.

HTH.

In answer to your second question - I'd always be looking for unusual angles to bring the light in from. An empty stage is boring to light, even just some flightcases, amps or rostra will be enough to hide lights behind or light through. Also nice surfaces to light (set, costumes, drapes, floor etc) all help provide inspiration.

Cheers,

JSB.

An empty stage is boring to light, even just some flightcases, amps or rostra will be enough to hide lights behind or light through. Also nice surfaces to light (set, costumes, drapes, floor etc) all help provide inspiration.

I wouldn't say that an "empty stage is boring", just more of a challenge to light, don't forget when lighting a theatre piece etc always talk to the Director & the set designer, try to find the moods and enviroments they are trying to create with their work and enhance or maybe juxapose it. :rolleyes:

Archived