Cleaning Lens Tubes

woody74

Someone asked me if one could, without detergent, run Source Four lens tubes through the dishwasher. My immediate reaction was "No", but the more I thought about it, the more I couldn't come up with a reason not to.

I have heard of running your computer keyboard through, but that may just be urban legend...*

Thoughts? Comments? Wet salmon to the face?

-w

*apparently not legend after all

I've heard of people running fresnel lenses through the dishwasher - you just have to watch that they don't rattle around and get chipped. I'm not sure about lens tubes though - water in focus knob mechanisms doesn't sound ideal to me...

Many things get cleaned during manufacture. It's the drying that determines whether it will work again! - Powering up a drop of water does not help!

Having said that I had a Datamoon which was nonfunctional due to accumulated dirt. SO I showered it under the shower inside and out. paint brush and washing up liquid first then warm water. Once the water had dripped out a spray over with IPA and let it dry for a few days, I got a fully working fx back again. ;)

Hi,

We do it every maintenance session, every year - never had any problems, saves a lot of time and seriously works a treat! We put all our F and PC lenses through also! Like said above tie them down with something so they dont rattle about and chip lenses!

Tom.

The best way to clean S4 lenses which I have used is the use of lens cleaner (same cleaner opticians use) and a glass cleaning cloth. I wouldn’t put a whole S4 lens tube through the dishwasher as this won’t be great and won’t be that effective for cleaning it. Much better to spend time dismantling the tube and cleaning all the components by hand, this is how most professional venues do it to my knowledge.

Much better to spend time dismantling the tube .

Not always necessary with most tubes... those lovely 36 degree tubes however do need to be dismantled.

You develop the skill of getting them back together.

The best way to clean S4 lenses which I have used is the use of lens cleaner (same cleaner opticians use) and a glass cleaning cloth.

Well yes; anyone with a lighting head on their shoulders will agree (including me); I was just looking for more of a "No! Don't do it! We did it and it cost us a fortune! No, you fool! Noooooo!" kind of reply (more yes/no than good/bad). Ultimately, the dishwasher idea would be for cleaning 5 years of dust en mass, and then going in with lens cleaner and lens tissue.

-w

The best way to clean S4 lenses which I have used is the use of lens cleaner (same cleaner opticians use) and a glass cleaning cloth.

Can you safely use IPA on the coatings of S4 lenses, or is it too aggressive? I've heard that Windolene and similar window cleaners are a no-no.

I'd be worried about using a dishwasher unless you left out the detergent- those dishwasher tablets are quite aggressive.

And before anybody repeats the joke of old, I am firmly of the opinion that Indian Pale Ale should not be used on anything, not even consenting adults.

That was my OP.

D'oh!

I'd probably suggest using a low heat 'gentle' program as well, although I'm certain the glass used in most fixtures is quite temperature stable....

My main concern would be any unpassivated mild steel components, which would almost certainly flash-rust during the drying phase.

Still wondering if isopropyl alcohol is OK to use to clean S4 lenses, or if it's likely to strip the antireflection coatings.

Archived