Split point for foh/mon mix

The Boogie Man

There isn't really a "normal" way. Both methods you mention are used pretty regularly (and a third is using a monitor mixer with true direct outs, i.e. not affected by the mic pre-amps is also common). Each method has it's own advantages/disadvantages and any of them could work for you, depending on the gear you have, money you're willing to spend and the specific circumstances of what you're mixing.

Personal "normal" method: a splitter box before the snakes, but this is mostly because (many years ago) I built my own 32 way passive splitter box for a project and, despite my best efforts, it keeps working.

Bob

Generally speaking these types of splitters will often incorporate multipin connectors, So a separate stage box with xx inputs and outputs will be used with multipin connectors also on the box. Multicores (snakes) with matching connectors are then connected up, 1 to FOH 1 to monitors, 1 wherever else as necessary. Sometimes the monitor split will be hardwired into the stage box as only a short lead it required here. Most of these types of systems are to a point "custom builds" as each situation is different.

I'm in the process of getting round to building a new stage box / multi although I've recently been looking at digital offerings and I am wondering if that may be a better option.

Rob

if you want the same patch at both consoles then you want to have a patchpanel which is then split to two or more multipins - one for FOH, one for stage. This is preferably done with transformer isolation on one of the splits to stop the desks phantom powering one another (digital desks dont like this!) etc...

Archived